Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Product Manager who is excited about growing a cloud-native distributed SQL database to join our Product team. You will help define and execute the roadmap for the Security team, which is responsible for ensuring our database meets the security needs of our customers, evolving our identity and access management controls to meet customer needs in CockroachCloud, and making sure CockroachCloud has the necessary security and compliance certifications so that our customers trust Cockroach Labs with their data.
- Work directly with customers to understand and address their primary pain points, collecting product requirements and documenting customer needs.
- Develop and execute a product strategy for Security, prioritizing across a variety of deployment and customer types, including self-hosted environments and cloud dedicated and multi-tenant environments
- Partner with Engineering, Design, Documentation and Revenue teams to come up with cloud-native customer solutions and iterate toward a delightful user experience for SaaS and self-hosted deployments.
- Become the expert in your product area’s functionality and user journeys to enable stakeholder teams’ and customers’ success.
- Put yourself in our users’ shoes and set up CockroachDB clusters and database scenarios to acceptance test features before they go live.
- Leverage our BI platform to understand product adoption and prioritize enhancements to improve our product.
- 8+ years of total work experience in Product Management.
- Experience with building security products or features, ideally in cloud environments
- An ability to grasp complex technical concepts and tie the impact of technical trade-offs to user experience trade-offs.
- Experience working with engineering to prototype and iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy.
- Experience working with Enterprise customers to understand problems, address those problems and set proper timelines and expectations around feature delivery
- Excellent writing skills; our strategic product meetings are based on docs rather than decks.
- A collaborative nature and an eagerness to partner with all other functions in the company.
- A computer science degree and/or first-hand experience working with production distributed systems, SQL or databases.
In the first 30 days, you will go through PM onboarding with your roachmate. You will shadow the PM lead for your area and understand the team culture and processes. You will spin up a CockroachDB cluster and test core features, getting a sense for the end to end experience for yourself. You will work with the PM lead to understand the major user pain points for the area and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems your team is solving. You’ll review your backlog, get up to speed on in-flight features, and learn how to understand feature adoption.
After three months you will be fully integrated into the team. You'll identify, research, and test solutions to problems. You will conduct customer calls and analyze telemetry to determine where Cockroach Labs needs to invest in security capabilities in our Cloud and self-hosted offerings. There are countless opportunities for us to invest in and you will be responsible for prioritizing the ones that will exceed our customer’s expectations and allow them to seamlessly integrate CockroachDB into their operations. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB and that requires excellent products built by you and your team.
Reporting to Piyush Singh - Group Product Manager
Piyush loves getting into the mindset of customers and using our product just as they would. He joined Cockroach Labs in early 2018 because he wanted to explore the bleeding edge of what is possible in the database industry. His main focus at Cockroach Labs is making the database and CockroachCloud as simple to use for operators as possible. While he’s not at his desk, you will probably find Piyush in the kitchen trying out a new recipe or baking up a favorite dessert.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]