Technical Product Manager, Platform at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better.com is looking for a Technical Product Manager with deep technical expertise to join the Mortgage Engine Platform team. The Mortgage Engine Platform is the technological heart underpinning our business. This team is broadly empowered to envision and deliver strategic capabilities to sustain, scale, and broaden our business.
Specifically, we strive to:
- Deeply understand and optimize current workflows
- See around corners to recognize future opportunities and decide what to do about them
- Empathize with the developer experience and look to improve it on all levels
You will work closely with amazingly talented engineers, designers, data scientists and others throughout the company. Your role will be the glue that holds this cross-functional effort together from start to finish. You should be well versed in product and business strategy; capable of communicating deftly about technical topics; and passionate about platform technology.
Responsibilities will include:
- Partner with Engineering, Product and business stakeholders across Better
- Establish a view of what our best opportunities are and create consensus around your roadmap
- Drive requirements and work across functions and teams to deliver
- Perceive technical, business, and organizational problems and risks and drive resolution
- Grow people and teams you work with through constructive feedback and respectful disagreement
- Define team-level KPIs and objectives
- Bring your solutions to market through ownership of the full product development process: problem identification, solution design, spec, implementation and validation
- Manage competing priorities with consistency and transparency
- Collaborate well with partners throughout the company to ensure feature adoption and success
- You’ve worked in a Software Engineering or Technology Product Management capacity for a minimum of 3-5 years
- You have knowledge of platform technologies
- You’re an analytical, metrics-driven thinker who is deeply empathetic and leads with a user-centered approach
- You have a history of listening to users, understanding their needs and creating improvements to meet those needs
- You learn new technologies quickly and can comfortably and effectively discuss the tradeoffs and benefits of various approaches with your engineering peers
- You’re committed to collaboration and you are able to work well with other business units to build iterative solutions that continuously deliver value
- You ideally have a CS degree, or you have a deep understanding of technical foundations and can deftly communicate with engineers
- You have a proven track record of entering a new space and building expertise rapidly
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.