VP of Product at CB Insights
CB Insights is looking for a VP of Product - a client-focused hands-on product executive who wants to build a product clients love and scale a team.
First, some data on the growth of CB Insights.
- 2015 - 66 teammates
- 2016 - 104 teammates
- 2017 - 168 teammates
- 2018 - 209 teammates
- 2019 - 292
- Today - 300+ and growing
Over that same period, our revenue has grown 800% into the very healthy 8-figures. Underpinning this growth is the CB Insights Technology Intelligence platform, the foundation of our relationships with our customers.
It is the product that delivers the data, insights, and functionality that our customers have come to know and love - and while its evolution is supported by multiple teams, the Product team at CB Insights sits at its center.
And so we are looking to hire a VP of Product at CB Insights to lead, build and develop our product team. We work with the biggest and most important corporations and VCs in the world to help them discover, understand and manage their technology decisions, and the product team’s goal is to make CB Insights the indispensable platform for them.
We recognize that Product teams look and feel different in every company, and so it’s important to first describe the principles that will drive success in the role prior to talking about the specific responsibilities and tasks. These are:
- An obsessive focus on the customer
- Knowing the difference between what we should do vs. what we can do
- Understanding that strategy is only as good as the execution - and vice versa
- People are at the heart of the product
Let’s unpack each of these further in the context of the role.
An obsessive focus on the customer
CB Insights has grown to 300+ people without using any investment capital.
A relentless focus on clients and building products that help them discover, understand and manage their technology decisions using data. As we continue to scale, the customer will continue to be at the center of our product strategy as we solve their business needs. Specifically, this will entail:
- Supporting the sourcing and distilling of customer insights through a customer discovery process to identify product opportunities and differentiators
- Coaching an existing and growing team of Product Owners on how to build and maintain client relationships to inform the features and products they build
- Building a deep and nuanced understanding of customer archetypes, workflows, use cases and pain points - and how each contributes to CB Insights’ business
- Maintaining a focus on value generated for customers and the ultimate delivery of exceptional client experiences; and adhering to goals centered around customer adoption and frequency
- Ensuring that the voice of the client is core to prioritization of what the Product team works on - more on this in #2 below
Knowing how to parse what should be built from what could be
As a company with a product on the bleeding edge of technology, there are many things we can do, which does not mean we should do them all. The ability to be disciplined and focused in identifying product initiatives that matter most will be critical in this role. Related responsibilities include:
- Ruthlessly prioritizing client problems and product solutions in a disciplined, concise, and deliberate way
- Applying existing CBI product prioritization frameworks rigorously and working with Product Owners to develop strong hypotheses using both quantitative and qualitative information and research
- Sourcing internal input and viewpoints from various stakeholders to pressure test prioritization and path forward
- Using this prioritized list to develop a coherent product strategy and roadmap for the entire product portfolio
- Evangelizing product strategy and driving alignment across the organization
Understanding that strategy is only as good as the execution - and vice versa
The VP of Product will be responsible for both the strategy and goal-setting driven by #1 and #2 above as well as working with teams to execute on the priorities. Ensuring multiple groups pull together as one to build and deliver on product goals includes:
- Driving annual and quarterly product roadmap planning and execution with a cross-functional team of Product and Project Managers (part of the Product team), Designers, Product Marketers, and Engineering Team Leads
- Collaborating with the CEO and department leads to:
- Communicate strategy, value to clients, and roadmap to leadership team and to the larger CB Insights team
- Defining and monitoring product KPIs that contribute to business outcomes, and setting and achieving goals based on these metrics
- Solidifying and rolling-out product development processes with leaders across functions (e.g. Technical PM, Design, Engineering, Data, Customer Success, and Product Marketing)
- Holding yourself and the broader team accountable for delivering on goals consistently and fostering an environment of transparency and collaboration (more on this in #4 below)
People are at the heart of the product
While attacking a massive market and having a great product have helped us scale, the #1 driver of our sustained and continued growth will be the team. As the VP of Product, you recognize the importance of a capable, cohesive, and motivated team and will be responsible for
- Leading and developing a high-performing team of 12+ product and project managers, including two Directors
- Coach the product team on core product management skills, including: market, customer, competitor and UX research; synthesize research into customer insights, and propose solutions
- Lead by example in contributing to a strong company culture and high-performing collaborative working environment
- Support the recruiting and development of the team
- Build relationships and work closely with teammates throughout CB Insights across engineering, design, customer success, research, business development and more to get input on, build and rollout products
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years of experience in data/information businesses or B2B / enterprise SaaS
- Proven track recording of leading high performance product teams
- Demonstrated experience and expertise with data-driven products
- Experience leading cross-functional team to achieve goals in an agile and fast-paced environment
- Track record in leading product planning efforts: including planning the roadmap at the org-level
- Experience of having strategized, built and executed product development, launch, and enablement processes with internal partners
This job is right for you if:
- You work smart and hard. You have high standards for you and your team’s work, and what a product should enable clients to achieve. You deliver value consistently by being inquisitive, innovative and working with intent
- You must be a great listener who is comfortable talking to clients (internally and externally) to understand their needs and distill insights from these conversations into themes that drive product strategy
- You are client-obsessed, and have a deep understanding of CB Insights’ clients. You challenge and coach members of your team to deliver valuable client experience under aggressive goals
- You see the big product picture, but also sweat the details; you can get into the weeds of UX and feature requirements when the team needs you to
- You embrace that speed of execution is a weapon for a growth company
- You take an analytical and data-driven approach to product prioritization
- You are a structured thinker who can influence a diverse array of audiences from Fortune 500 customers to engineers to sales professionals. A master communicator, where clarity of thought is important in both written and verbal communication
- You are a data geek and enjoy experimentation
- You are a technology enthusiast who enjoys understanding new technologies, markets, and business models
What’s CB Insights Is All About:
CB Insights helps the world’s leading companies make smarter technology decisions with data, not opinion. The CB Insights Technology Insights Platform provides companies with comprehensive data, expert insights, and work management tools that enable them to discover and understand the technologies that will help them drive growth and improve operations. To learn more, please visit www.cbinsights.com
- Amazing culture: Happy, Helpful, Humble, Hungry. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 640k people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: Daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role, submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.