Associate, Abstraction Operations
Flatiron’s mission is to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. We do this by organizing the world’s oncology information and making it useful for patients, physicians, life science companies and investigators to use in order to accelerate research and improve the quality of care. We are building a disruptive, oncology-specific software platform that connects cancer centers across the country on a common technology infrastructure to address key healthcare challenges.
Much of the available, real-world clinical data is unstructured and stored across thousands of disconnected community clinics, medical centers and hospitals. We have a large team of abstractors - primarily nurses, tumor registrars and clinical research professionals - who help us convert unstructured data to structured data by extracting key data points from from clinical documents. Abstractors work remotely via our proprietary web-based software, where they abstract data across multiple diseases according to documented policies and procedures (P&Ps).
The Abstraction Operations Associate will interact closely with the remote abstractors as well as members of Clinical Abstraction, engineers, and product managers, and will report to the Manager of Abstraction Operations. This role is based in New York, NY.
- Oversee capacity management of the abstractor workforce to execute on abstraction projects across several different project lines, including: working cross-functionally to scope projects, executing on project plans, communicating to the Flatiron research organization, and reporting out on project outcomes
- Surface and analyze abstraction workforce data to help with making data-driven decisions, creating new processes and developing/refining policies
- Visualize and explain analyzed data to non-technical team members to support decision-making
- Design, document, and implement new or improved processes and workflows to assist the abstraction team in streamlining and scaling operations
- Manage special projects, often with cross-functional teams, including engineering and clinical teams
- Manage communications to the abstractor workforce to drive engagement
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 2-3 years in an operations or tactical role
- Able to analyze data and create visualizations with SQL, Excel and/or Tableau
- Ease with learning new software systems/tools
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
- Passionate about healthcare and the fight against cancer
Nice to have:
- Startup experience
- Healthcare experience