Construction Project Manager at Common
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across our growing portfolio of homes. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes across the United States and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is hiring a talented Construction Project Manager to manage the construction process of our new homes in close coordination with our developer partners. From upholding Common’s interests in time and quality, to procuring and managing our directly sourced vendors, this role will be responsible for delivering on our quickly expanding pipeline. Common’s development partners are responsible for the majority of the general construction of our homes. It will be your job to ensure our partners have a strong understanding of our Brand Standards, with a focus on technical and functional standards for MEP systems. You’ll also manage Common’s WiFi, Access Control and CCTV strategy across the portfolio.
In addition to project management skills, the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a technical background such as engineering experience or work relating to MEP systems. As the Construction Project Manager, you will report directly to the Director of Construction and Procurement.
- Track project schedules and progress milestones in conjunction with development partners
- Uphold Common’s Technical Brand Standards and quality expectations through site inspections and best practice documentation
- Improve Common’s inspection and testing procedures to drive better outcomes for homes handed to the operations team
- Manage communication and project tasks between the developer, Common’s subcontractors and Common internal teams to ensure a successful home opening
- Create project specific scopes and schematic layouts for access control, WiFi and camera systems
- Contract management of Common’s directly engaged subcontractors, including but not limited to WiFi, Camera, Access Control and Window Furnishings subcontractors
- Coordinate technical details and timing requirements between Common’s subcontractors and the development partner or on site General Contractor
- Manage project budgets and assess progress claims for Common’s subcontractors
- This role includes travel to new home locations around the country. Travel is typically 2-3 days at a time and occurs approximately every 5-6 weeks
- 4+ years Construction Project Management Experience either as a client or General Contractor
- Engineering or technical background working with MEP systems preferred
- Experience within the Residential, Hospitality or Retail sectors is preferred
- Experience with Construction Quality Control
- Experience with Project Scheduling
- Demonstrate experience managing trade works for the full life cycle of tendering, procurement & payment
- Experience negotiating vendor contracts, compiling contracts, and ensuring that vendor work remains within budget
- A keen love of organization and prioritization, working across several projects at a time
- Demonstrate an attention to detail on complex tasks
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.