Data Project Manager at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
The Media Strategy & Analytics team (MSA) acts as an internal media team that handles the strategy, execution, and reporting of all paid & owned media vehicles with the goal of driving viewership across TV, digital and direct-to-consumer products for all of Discovery, Inc’s 16+ networks (Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, etc.) and direct-to-consumer products (MotorTrend, GOLFTV, Dplay, etc.).
Media Science is a growing discipline in the media team. The business encompasses both paid media for TV and direct-to-consumer business and owned assets, which have seen exponential growth in data collection and management. Join a data-driven team that is building out a Media Science discipline incorporating big data sets, automation and visualizations to drive media efficiencies and effectiveness.
Within Media Science, the Data Project Manager will maintain the team’s project workflow including overall planning, requirements gathering, resource management and project milestone tracking. Projects include data ingestion, dashboards, applications, data science initiatives, etc. Resolving blockers and escalating issues to advance projects will be an important part of the function. In essence, the pulse of the team will be managed by this role.
The role will also coordinate with internal stakeholders and external vendors to ensure project timelines and deliverables are met. Communication and relationship building will be a critical component. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working in a fast-paced agile environment.
1. Manage day-to-day project workflow for the Media Science team
2. Define and build an agile process for managing the development cycle for all data projects as well as handling ad-hoc tickets
3. Manage project board to scope and evaluate priorities to efficiently balance team resources against sprint planning
4. Create detailed project plans for all priority initiatives attending meetings and identifying resource requirements, milestones, dependencies and key risks
5. Clearly communicate project timelines, including milestones, deadlines, and deliverables to all stakeholders
6. Actively identify project blockers and problem solve or escalate to drive resolution
7. Manage daily/weekly standups
8. Develop relationships with, and ensure the appropriate participation of key internal and external stakeholders
9. Identify opportunities for improvement and innovation for project management across MSA
10. Maintain wiki documentation, ensuring that all data projects are well-documented
* Bachelor’s degree and four or more years of work experience in in Project Management, Computer Science, Data/Analytics or Media related fields
* Solid understanding of project management processes and agile workflows
* Experience in writing and updating project documentation including project plans, scope documents, SOWs, resource plans, status reports
* Base understanding of database concepts and terminology
* Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, organizational, prioritization and decision making skills
* Ability to translate business needs into actionable solutions and timelines
* Obsessive attention to detail
* Ability to manage multiple initiatives across diverse workstreams
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and fluid environment
* Superb communication skills, including the ability to communicate between stakeholders
* Able to learn new technologies and methodologies quickly
* Experience with workflow tools (Leankit a plus)
* Experience in managing projects for data/analytics a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States