Peloton is seeking a Design Operations Lead to help optimize the efficiency and output of our Industrial Design team processes and resources. This role sits on the Industrial design team where you will report to the Director of Industrial design. This team is responsible for the design of our future hardware roadmap that is key to the peloton member experience – including but not limited to Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and accessories.
This role works primarily with the Industrial Design and CMF teams to facilitate cross functional collaboration with the EPMs, Product Managers, UI & UX Designers, User Researchers, Mechanical Engineers to keep things on track, and deliver best in class industrial design that represents the Peloton brand.
The IDPM has an understanding of the goings-on for all the in-flight and upcoming Design projects in their purview – and is able to provide valuable information back to the team, optimize the path towards completing projects, and call out any issues or risks to efficient and effective project completion.
Note - This role is not a Product strategy or design role. It is a role on the team that explicitly focuses on process optimization and project tracking.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Work in a flexible, adaptable, and empathetic way, understanding that each team and individual contributor will have unique work styles, and each project will vary in its specific process needs.
- Assist in scoping and determining milestones and schedules for Industrial Design and CMF projects. Intake changes to project plans and priorities, and help manage downstream impacts to other project timelines and resource capacity.
- Take the lead on ensuring projects move forward seamlessly and efficiently by coordinating (and often attending) Industrial Design and CMF reviews.
- Identify and remove blockers to enable ID and CMF to work productively toward project goals.
- Track progress throughout the duration of a project (from definition to launch and beyond) with a mindfulness toward dependencies, and facilitate effective communication within and across teams.
- Maintain documentation and dashboards that allow for quick and efficient understanding of resource capacity and project status.
- Facilitate design planning and standups, and understand the status of active projects across the Industrial Design and CMF team. Report on project status regularly to your, and broadly across the Product organization.
- Attend weekly syncs organized by EPMs to share design project statuses and stay informed about engineering timelines.
- Work with designers to understand design debt priorities and design initiatives and assist with scheduling this work into sprint plans.
- Coordinate effective collaboration protocols between Product Design and the Marketing Creative team.
- Facilitate retrospectives for the Product Design team to build teamwork, identify pain points, and support the ongoing improvement of team processes.
- Ability to understand a growing team with an eye to build a small team of IDPMs to drive successful and creative design workflows.
THIS ROLE IS NOT:
- An industrial design position
- Engineering program management
- Creative director
- Has 5-8+ years working in Hardware Product Development in Design Operations. Design Program Management in an agile software development environment is a plus but not essential for the role.
- Can demonstrate a deep understanding of Industrial design, the concept development process and deliverables.
- Passionate about hard product design – a strong advocate for designers as well as the users they design for.
- Knows what it takes to make products and maintain a high level of quality on the production side of design.
- Flexible to the unique work styles and strengths/weaknesses of each team and team member.
- Motivated to continuously seek opportunities to create efficiencies and improve team performance.
- Ability to quickly learn and adopt new project management tools.
- Excellent problem solving skills; thrives when working with complexity.
- Organized and detail-oriented: able to track multiple moving workstreams.
- Cool, calm, and collected under pressure.
- Able to communicate well with a variety of stakeholders in an open, direct, and clear way.
- Builds strong relationships throughout the company and earns the trust of team members.
- Works well in a fast paced environment.
- Highly self-motivated and self-managed. Able to adapt in a new space.
- Strong listener: able to deeply understand the team’s needs, ask the right questions to keep a project moving in the right direction, and proactively pursue feedback.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.