Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
We are looking for the very first hire onto our Developer Relations team at Cockroach Labs. Reporting to our VP of Engineering, the Developer Advocate will have the opportunity to define and create our developer and customer advocacy program. In this role, you will focus on building a community of CockroachDB users and building advocacy & expertise within our users so that they will organically speak about and recommend CockroachDB to their peers. Listening to the needs of developers is key, as is acting as a conduit between developers and our engineering and product teams. Being able to explain technical material at both a high level and a detailed level is imperative.
Note that while we are based in NYC, we are flexible on location (must be US-based).You Will
- Create and Curate - This is a new role for Cockroach Labs and you will have the unique opportunity to define our developer relations program and goals. You’ll craft original content and derivative works from existing material from adjacent teams.
- Engage and Captivate - You are a respected member of the community and will be the voice of Cockroach Labs both in online forums and in-person events, engaging and helping developers understand and love CockroachDB while also celebrating the impact of our open-source contributors. You will speak at conferences and help drive our meetup strategy that will amplify the things developers care about. You will also work with our education team to help define workshops and training and sometimes help deliver this content to developer communities.
- Drive Awareness and Adoption - You will be responsible for driving awareness and ultimately, developer adoption of CockroachDB by creating sample applications, plugging gaps in ORM toolkits, code snippets, etc. You will also help create a culture of developer advocacy within our company.
In your first 30 days, you will evaluate the existing Cockroach Labs community and our efforts within it and in the greater database community. We believe that it's important for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
For your next 30 days, you’ll be in research mode and will be focused on building out what will make Developer Relations successful at Cockroach Labs, both now and in the future. We will be looking to you as the expert and want you to feel empowered to influence the strategic direction of our community efforts. During this time, you’ll start engaging with the community through online forums and will start to attend events.
After 90 days, you will be fully integrated onto the team. You’ll be an active member in the community and will have built out, in partnership with other stakeholders on the team, our Developer Relations strategy for 2020 and beyond.You Have
- 5+ years of experience as a Developer Advocate
- 2+ years of managing experience. As the team grows, you will be responsible for helping to hire and manage the team
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and experience with databases (RDBMS, NoSQL, etc), SQL, application architecture
- Experience presenting to groups
- A natural affinity to forge relationships with developers
- A collaborative spirit and an ability to problem-solve
- Excellent writing and project management skills
- Ability to travel approximately 30-40% of your time
Reporting to Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working, he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannolis with his wife and kids.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected].