Release Manager at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
As a Release Manager with Better, you will have the opportunity to drive the management of releases processes throughout the lifecycle of development, test and deployment to production environments by collaborating with all stakeholders in the software development process. This Leader is a critical part of the Release Engineering team and is passionate about enabling and empowering engineering teams to deliver the Better products to our customers.
In this role you will work with engineering to improve the tooling and processes associated with building and deploying software with high velocity. You will meticulously review and formulate effective deployment and migration plans, as well as remediation and contingency plans. You will identify dependencies, analyze risks, escalate defects and remove roadblocks to ensure timely delivery of releases.
You will demonstrate exceptional management skills and technical expertise, and practical experience releasing large-scale distributed systems. You are data and metric driven, and obsessively concerned about releasing with high quality, at speed and with managed costs. You will recommend process enhancements by conducting retrospectives to enhance efficiency of the release process and tooling. You will provide frequent communication to the engineering team raising potential issues and key decisions needed to ensure timeliness and integrity of the release.Responsibilities Include:
- Lead the end-to-end release process across product development teams with a focus on ensuring high-quality, timely releases
- Manage effective communications for partners of any level and of any audience
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams in Product Development which include Engineering, Security, Technical Program Management, Product Management, and others
- Ensure release readiness by partnering with various teams across the organization which include SRE
- Measure and improve release quality and efficiency through dashboards and reporting
- You have 3-5 years of experience on a release team
- You have experience configuring build pipelines (buildkite, spinnaker, jenkins), including approval steps or gates and blue green deploys.
- You are familiar with git branching strategies, and have implemented them in the past.
- You are not satisfied with manual steps and are comfortable working on internal tooling to automate anything repeatable
- You have scaled release practices in the past
- You are able to work cross functionally and across teams
- Preferably a degree in computer science or requisite experience
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.