Technical Program Manager - Data Management
Technical Program Manager - Data Management
At Squarespace, we empower people with creative ideas to succeed.
That means delivering beautiful software products to our customers. Technical Program Managers (TPMs) contribute to that mission by making shipping software easier and more predictable.
We are looking for a TPM to help ship reliable data to internal departments at Squarespace so we can make informed, data-driven decisions about our product and business.
You will partner with Engineering Leadership (director, manager, and staff engineer) and data consumers to build and deliver on a technical roadmap. The projects on this roadmap will contribute to data management objectives such as:
- Increase Data Maturity
- Improve data governance
- Ensure data compliance
- Enable self-service data discovery and exploration
- Enhance infrastructure and tooling to support data engineering and analysis
This role is for an individual contributor. It is located in New York and reports to the Internal Engineering TPM Team Lead. TPM is part of the Engineering department.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
- Partner with Data Integrity to achieve Data Maturity throughout Squarespace:
- Create a framework to measure Data Maturity
- Establish target Data Maturity levels for each organization, process, and function
- Create and maintain a roadmap with projects to achieve those Data Maturity levels
- Plan and deliver cross-functional projects that empower Squarespace employees to make decisions based on data, including:
- Establish Squarespace-wide data knowledgebase (Data Catalog) to facilitate data discovery and align on standard vocabulary and authoritative data sources
- Create functionality to provide the current state (e.g. timeliness, quality) of various data sources and data artifacts to data users (Audit, Balance & Control)
- Ship incremental improvements to current product event pipeline to enable product management to make strategic decisions about our product roadmap
- Identify and train Business Data Stewards and Technical Data Owners to form data management federation throughout Squarespace
- Establish and evangelize data management requirements that must be met in every project (e.g. dictionary, quality, availability, security, compliance, retention, masking, description)
- Plan and execute ongoing data quality improvement processes to ensure that data used by various processes is fit for purpose
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Audience-centric, clear, and effective communication
- Proven track record of delivering cross-functional projects
- General understanding of data management processes and principles
- Firm understanding of data architecture and delivery at previous companies
- Expertise in project management tools, such as Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence), and G Suite
- Ability to efficiently, effectively, and autonomously troubleshoot ambiguous challenges
- Eagerness to directly challenge others’ ideas and be challenged
- Strong commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion, collaboration, and trust
IN YOUR FIRST THREE MONTHS, YOU WILL
- Get to know your role and team members through 1:1s and team meetings
- Get a firsthand understanding of the data management opportunities and challenges by shadowing your stakeholders
- Work with data management stakeholders to create a roadmap and corresponding project scopes
- Learn the technical architecture underlying our data management infrastructure and tooling and apply that knowledge in scoping of new projects
- Define the Data Management program and its direction in a program charter
- Build a confident and comfortable relationship with leadership members of your teams
- Establish a cadence for project documentation updates with your project teams and stakeholders
- Contribute to the larger TPM team with ideas on how to improve planning and delivery, and presenting a knowledge share on a relevant topic
- Begin drafting your career development plan with your manager
- Begin contributing to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to you, e.g. Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending team events, joining Game Night, etc.
WORKING AS A TPM AT SQUARESPACE
TPMs at Squarespace make shipping software easier and more predictable by driving for transparency and clear communication, working collaboratively, being radically candid, and leaving our ego at the door. We treat process and tools not as an end, but as the means to reach business goals and empower our customers. We lift each other up and provide equal opportunities for growth.
- Recruiter screen (phone)
- Initial TPM screen for TPM fundamentals and team fit (phone)
- Writing sample and review (phone)
- On-site interviews (1:1 interviews & TPM workshop)
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 800 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 18 weeks of parental leave
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- Squarespace sends members of the engineering team to speak at and attend the most relevant and impactful conferences throughout the year
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Gender Affirmation Surgery
- Education reimbursement
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
*Thank you to our friends at Awaken for inspiring the structure of this job description.