Technical Program Manager IV/Director at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery is looking for top engineering talent whose deep technical chops and delivery skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on Web, Android, iOS, tvOS & Roku. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient mobile, web, and connected TVs applications to millions of customers, then this is the Discovery team for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are the Product Engineering technology group for Direct-2-Consumer USA business, and responsible for building media streaming Mobile & OTT applications for 18 brands. Backed up by modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS, our front-end applications build mobile experiences for search, catalogue, video streaming, personalization, subscriptions, payments, and really much more. Discovery is the largest provider of non-fiction network programming in the USA with channels like Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Oprah Winfrey Network, Cooking Channel, Food Network, Travel Channel, and many more (total of 18 Discovery GO brands). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring Sr. Technical Program Manager to join our team in New York. The ideal candidate is an influential technical leader with a knack for getting-things-done, who is able separate what's important from what's urgent and find the best path forward from among multiple scenarios, earn the trust of stakeholders, and improve the efficiency of our cross-functional organization.
- The ideal candidate has a successful track record of planning & delivering large programs that are significantly cross functional (10+ teams).
- You are biased towards delivery and have mastered the ability to delegate assignments to your own team, peer leaders and ensure that the right results are achieved.
- You are a collaborative leader that makes other leaders and engineers around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical & delivery decisions.
- Your work and approach to program delivery are exemplary – you drive best practices and provide advice and mentoring to other TPMs on how best to approach cross-functional projects.
- You are vocally self-critical. You demonstrate resilience and navigate difficult situations with composure & tact.
- You are a technical leader that senior executives turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities, processes and deliver the goals on time and to budget.
- Minimum of 12+ years of industry experience.
- 7+ years of managing large-scale software development projects- from technical planning, day-day project management, coordination with cross functional teams to final launch.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Detail oriented, yet strong bias for action and "get it done" attitude.
- Excellent organization, analytical, quantitative, and presentation skills
- Technically hands-on in disparate technologies, large scale architecture, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
- A bachelor’s degree Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Math, or directly related field
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.