Technical Program Manager - Product Platform at Squarespace
Technical Program Manager - Infrastructure and Product Engineering - Product Platform
At Squarespace, we empower people with creative ideas to succeed.
That means delivering beautiful software products to our customers. Technical Program Managers (TPMs) contribute to that mission by making shipping software easier and more predictable.
We are looking for a TPM to partner with our product engineers and product managers, to grow and drive our Product Platform program. The Product Platform organization provides shared backend services as a foundation for product features. These teams lead our microservices and monolith strategy and are responsible for integrating acquired products, safely storing and serving customer content, and managing customer authorization and authentication.
Bridging the gap between Platform and Product Engineering allows us to deliver full-stack engineering projects with ease and predictability. A strong partnership between Product Engineering and Platform is crucial to deliver products to our customers, and you as the TPM will play an important role in that smooth collaboration.
This role is for an individual contributor. It is located in New York and reports to the Infrastructure Engineering TPM Team Lead in New York. TPM is part of the Engineering department.
In this role you will
- Partner with engineers, designers, product managers, and other stakeholders across the company to prioritize, plan, and deliver Product Platform projects
- Understand the strategic vision for Squarespace’s products and use this information to shape technical roadmaps and corresponding project scopes
- Get to know our product and technology stack in detail so you can speak fluently to project stakeholders and effectively identify and mitigate risks, dependencies, and blockers
- Lead delivery of cross-functional projects throughout all lifecycle phases (initiation, scoping, execution, release), change and risk management, and ongoing product maintenance
- Partner with Engineering Leadership and stakeholders to identify opportunities for process and product optimizations
- Be the point of contact for project communication regarding status, schedule, and scope updates
- Track and mitigate risks, dependencies, and blockers
What we’re looking for
- Proven track record of delivering cross-functional projects
- Firm understanding of technical architecture at previous companies
- Expertise in project management tools, such as Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence), and G Suite
- Ability to efficiently, effectively, and autonomously troubleshoot ambiguous challenges
- Eagerness to directly challenge others’ ideas and be challenged
- Ability to build strong relationships across engineering and product organizations
- Strong commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion, collaboration, and trust
In your first three months you will
- Get to know your role and team members through 1:1 and team meetings
- Shadow your stakeholders
- Work with your stakeholders and partners in Product Management and Engineering to build delivery schedules and roadmaps
- Learn the technical architecture of our technology system and apply that knowledge in scoping of new projects
- Define your technical program and its direction in a program charter
- Create a process to vet and prioritize incoming requests to the Product Platform teams in orchestration with the Quarterly Planning Process in Engineering
- Build a confident and comfortable relationship with leadership members of your teams
- Establish a cadence for project updates with your project team and stakeholders, including program communication via regular newsletters
- Contribute to the larger TPM team with ideas on how to improve planning and delivery, and presenting a knowledge share on a relevant topic
- Begin drafting your career development plan with your manager
- Begin contributing to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to you, e.g. Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending team events, joining Game Night, etc.
Working as a TPM at Squarespace
TPMs at Squarespace make shipping software easier and more predictable by driving for transparency and clear communication, working collaboratively, being radically candid, and leaving our ego at the door. We treat process and tools not as an end, but as the means to reach business goals and empower our customers. We lift each other up and provide equal opportunities for growth.
- Recruiter screen (phone)
- Initial TPM screen for TPM fundamentals and team fit (phone)
- Writing sample and review (phone)
- On-site interviews (1:1 interviews & TPM workshop)
- Thank you to our friends at Awaken for inspiring the structure of this job description.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Thank you to our friends at Awaken for inspiring the structure of this job description.