Visual Merchandising Manager at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Stores
Rent the Runway is pushing the boundaries of brick-and-mortar retail, offering a technology driven, customer-centric store experience designed to provide efficient and seamless service. Our stores are the ultimate extension of our closetless vision - serving as inventory closet and last mile fulfillment, pick up and drop off centers, styling studios, and event and community space. We have a growing footprint of 5 retail closets across key markets in the United States.
About the Job
As the Visual Merchandising Manager, you will be responsible for elevating and overseeing the visual presentation in an ever-changing retail environment. In this role you will lead and inspire a team by taking a hands on approach, and ultimately create an environment that is engaging to the customer, and in line with the RTR vision. No two days will be the same in this role; we’re looking for someone who has a strong understanding of style and trend, is customer focused, and adaptable to changing priorities. The Visual Merchandising Manager will report to the Store Leader, and will work closely with the Director of Visual Merchandising.
What You'll Do
Merchandising and Presentation:
- Responsible for setting the visual representation of the floor in line with RTR standards and brand messaging, reflective of trend, and inspiring to the customer.
- Coach and educate the team to effectively maintain standards, and uphold the integrity of the presentation.
- Lead and oversee in-store inventory management processes and operations; including product placement, replenishment, quality control, and store edits.
- Work with the allocation team and deliver meaningful feedback; communicating opportunities for inventory capacity management, inventory needs, and customer feedback.
- Be an expert on the RTR product assortment, current store stock availability, and any upcoming launches or brand initiatives.
Leadership & Communication:
- Lead by example; drive and promote an exceptional customer experience, demonstrating an enthusiastic and positive attitude while adhering to and upholding all company policies and procedures.
- Build product knowledge and enthusiasm, through ongoing training and development for the full store team.
- Coach and develop your team to adapt to an ever-evolving business through clearly set objectives and expectations, individual goal-setting, and meaningful feedback, fostering a culture of action and accountability.
- Be a leader and a role model, acting as the Manager on Duty on the sales floor when needed.
- Champion an environment of authentic customer connection by remaining highly focused on delivering exceptional customer experiences that are engaging, accommodating and personalized.
- Partner with the store leader to support local community events, partnerships and sample sales.
- Partner with store leadership to ensure all facilities are maintained and repaired in a timely manner to uphold a high standard of customer experience within the store.
- 7+ years experience in a fashion retail environment, preferably in a field visual merchandising function.
- Experience leading, coaching, and developing direct reports, and the proven ability to inspire and motivate a diverse retail team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including proficiency with Excel and Google Docs
- Ability to analyze data and reporting from multiple sources to generate insight and inform operational decisions
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, be flexible and adaptable, and stay positive in an ever-changing environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to react to business trends and identify areas of opportunity
- Must be able to climb stairs in a multi level store, work while standing and walking and be able to lift approximately 40 lbs.
- Flexible schedule and ability to commit to a minimum of 40 hours per week including nights and weekends
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Many other amazing perks!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.