The biggest bottleneck in bringing new treatments to patients is the clinical trial. On average, getting a drug through the trial process takes nearly a decade and frequently costs $1B+. And the problem is only getting worse.
The New Ventures team is responsible for building a new portfolio of biotech startups, by acquiring and in-licensing drug development programs that will be supported by TrialSpark’s clinical research engine. The Director will:
- thematically identify areas and therapeutic assets for TrialSpark to invest in
- lead the research and evaluation of those specific investment opportunities
- manage the structuring and negotiations through deal close
This position is core to the company’s mission and critically important to the company’s growth.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Deeply evaluate therapeutic assets, including scientific data and clinical development plans
- Build a scientific and business case, including returns analysis, for each potential investment
- Negotiate financing and IP deal terms, with the support of TrialSpark’s transactions team
- Lead sourcing, and outreach; network with academics, patient advocacy groups, KOLs, biotechs, and entrepreneurs
- Research and write theses to identify investments and strategic partnerships to expand TrialSpark’s capabilities
Required education and experience
- Strong track record in negotiating and closing licensing transactions within the biopharma industry
- Excellent communication skills, proven ability to work collaboratively internally and externally
- Entrepreneurial & highly-organized, with a desire to build a transformative company in the life sciences
Preferred education and experience
- Strong aptitude and genuine interest in science. Advanced technical degree is an advantage. MBA preferred, but not required.
- Previous investment experience, preferably in venture capital or public equities, is required. Will also consider experience from biotech equity research, life sciences business development, or top tier consulting firm.
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.