Director, Category Merchandising
Greater NYC Area
Primary is a gender-free, inclusive kids clothing brand started by Galyn Bernard and Christina Carbonell in 2015. The company was founded on the idea that kids clothing should be affordable, feel amazing, and be free of logos and slogans so that all kids can truly shine. Our customers are incredibly passionate about our mission, leading to strong repeat metrics and one of the highest NPS scores in the industry (85+). We are laser-focused on building a strong, sustainable and profitable (!!) business, and hiring the best people to help us get there. Our company values kind and thoughtful self-starters who can think strategically and then work collaboratively with people across the organization to produce high-quality outcomes. We are also a very change-friendly group of people, and are always seeking fresh points of view to uncover ways we can improve our products, processes and team culture.
Company-sponsored health insurance
A 401k program (no matching just yet)
Three weeks of PTO (four weeks after two years at the company)
- Primary caregiver: 6 weeks fully paid, increased to 12 weeks after the first year with the company.
- Secondary caregiver: 3 weeks fully paid, increased to 6 weeks after the first year.
Bagel Thursdays and Frydays (yes it's what you think it is)
Primary School: a program that gives every employee $100 a month to spend on classes to help them grow (even if unrelated to their work).
We are looking for a Director, Category Merchandising to join our Merchandising team, and lead
merchandising for either our Baby or Kids category. The Director, Category Merchandising reports to the General Merchandise Manager.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing category product and assortment strategies that are consistent with the Primary brand and value proposition, and align with company sales, margin and inventory turn targets
- In-depth knowledge of the competitive landscape for your category
- Providing direction to Design and Production on product development initiatives, including new style concept and kick off meetings, target price point, styling details, fit intent and fabrication
- Partnering with Planning and Production on strategy and execution of seasonal buys, including fabric platforming opportunities and demand forecasting
- Price testing and optimization
- Strong on-site merchandising to drive sell-through, maximize AOV and help customers make purchase decisions
- Partnering with creative and marketing teams regarding seasonal concepts, new category and product launches, photo shoots, physical merchandising, and CRM/email strategy
- Close partnership with the Customer Experience team to understand customer feedback as well as share product updates / details
- Evaluation of potential strategic partnership opportunities for the category (including wholesale / product collaborations, etc.)
You must have:
- 8+ years of relevant experience with demonstrated career progression (including direct experience working on a vertically integrated, direct-to-consumer brand)
- Balance of strong analytical skills, intuition, and creative thinking
- Reputation for strong and focused execution, ability to handle complexity and deliver results
- Strong leadership and communication skills, ability and desire to collaborate cross-functionally
- Experience hiring and managing others
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA a +)
We are also looking for:
- Children’s apparel experience
- Passion for simplicity
- Bias for critical thinking over conventional wisdom
- Ability to think and communicate clearly in complicated and/or ambiguous situations
- Not just a willingness, but a love of rolling up sleeves to do the work
- No sharp elbows – you thrive in a respectful/collaborative environment
If you fit this description and are interested in joining our team, we would love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description