Director, Strategic Partnerships at Betterment
Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
Betterment is growing, and we are looking for a dynamic, growth oriented leader to join our Strategy Team. As our Director, Strategic Partnerships, you will identify new business opportunities and secure partnerships, turning new opportunities into a reality to better serve the financial needs of America. In this role, you will be responsible for the entire life cycle of a deal: from sourcing and structuring to negotiating and implementing, as we continue to build a portfolio of meaningful partnerships and opportunities. You will be a Betterment evangelist, creating non-linear growth and new strategic opportunities to make substantial, immediate impacts. You know collaboration is key to any successful project, so you are eager to build trusted relationships with our brand, retail, product, tech, and customer experience teams who will help turn new opportunities into a reality. By nature, you are proactive, driven and resilient. As part of these efforts, you will collaborate closely with cross-functional stakeholders across the company and with external partners as you develop and execute on partnership strategies.
This role is not remote eligible. We are looking to hire this role in our NYC office location.At Betterment you will get to:
- Identify, structure, negotiate and execute deals with strategic partners to drive customer volume, pilot and launch new services and use cases, enable the product infrastructure needed to operate and grow, and create value for Betterment.
- Develop a deep understanding of the competitive landscape and industry offerings and provide thoughtful and insightful findings across all 3 lines of business: Retail, 401(k), and Advisor.
- Build strong internal relationships with engineering, product, finance, legal and other teams, and provide support to all elements of work as it relates to diligence work and integration.
- Maintain a comprehensive database of prospective partners across multiple areas of interest, nurturing relationships and building a robust network along the way.
- Craft thoughtful multi-year partnership strategies along with product and engineering leaders focused on emerging products and business strategies.
- Create business cases and partner with Finance to prepare economic models for partnerships.
- Deep and varied experience as a deal maker and growth leader in business development and/or strategic partnerships, having demonstrated the ability to deliver meaningful change to an organization through partnerships and/or JVs.
- Deep understanding of the FinTech & incumbent Financial Services industry and potential partners across industries, and a robust network of relationships across them.
- Experience preparing industry analyses and presentations, and presenting to Executive Leadership, internal and external.
- Driven meaningful change at the senior management level -- both internally and with external partners.
- Demonstrated success at partnering, prioritizing and balancing needs cross-functionally.
- Ease working up and down organizations and with multiple stakeholders, internally and externally, and be capable of building strong relationships with partners and customers.
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.