Insurance Operations Associate at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for an Insurance Operations Associate to join our newly formed insurance entity, Better Cover. You are going to be instrumental in the development of a profitable, national, multi-line insurance entity.
More than that, you will be responsible for helping us create and implement an industry leading customer-first experience. You’ll be given a lot of responsibility early on: your ambition, ability to juggle multiple priorities, and high attention to detail will be crucial to your success on this team
The ideal candidate will be a highly organized communicator who consistently makes sound decisions while maintaining composure in a fast-paced environment. You will be interacting directly with customers and policyholders via phone, email, and text to ensure they have the best possible experience with Better Cover. We are looking for individuals who build rapport quickly, organize themselves and others through clear frameworks, and bring positive “can-do” energy to their work and team.
This is an early-stage role. The work you will do on day 1 may be radically different than the work you will be doing on day 100. If that sounds exciting, then we want you.
Responsibilities will include:
- Talk with Better borrowers and other interested insurance customers on the phone, or via email/text, and
help them get the homeowners' insurance policy that fits best for them
- Providing our customers with a delightful and supportive experience is our top priority. As the customer’s
advocate, you will work directly with Better engineering and product to help shape the future of the Better
Cover product. Your voice and insights, always supported by a strong data-driven foundation, will help guide
our customer experience on day 1
- Build and maintain relationships with our Insurance partners in order to create the strongest possible
integrations with a national network of carriers
- Collaborate with operations, engineering, product, and marketing across the entire Better company portfolio
on ways in which we can improve as the voice of the customer
Please note, this role requires a P&C License. Before a candidate passes their P&C licensing examination, their duties when dealing with customers will be restricted to the following tasks:
- Answering customer phone calls, emails, and text messages
- Scheduling appointments (provided there is no discussion about insurance coverage, cost or related issues)
- Accepting payments on existing policies
- Obtain expiration dates from prospects limited to the date the policy expires and the current carrier, and
whether they would be interested in speaking to an agent
- Obtaining loss information from customers and reporting this information to the claims department
- Handle changes to existing policies that do not involve discussion of coverage, the binding of additional
coverage, increasing or decreasing coverage or removal of coverage.
- Inform insureds as to coverages indicated in the policy record
- Receive requests for coverage for transmittal to the licensed agent
- World class verbal and written communication skills
- 1-2 years of experience in a customer facing position
- An analytical mindset and spreadsheet/Excel skills are a definite plus
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a demonstrated track record of skills acquisition
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.