Purchasing Agent at Common
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common’s Procurement Team is looking for a detail oriented professional to purchase the FF&E for our growing network of homes, as well as other procurement needs across the wider company. In addition, the Purchasing Agent will be tasked with continuously optimizing processes and reducing supplier costs. This role will report to our Supply Chain Manager.
- Purchase all Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment (FF&E) for new homes and replacement FF&E for operational homes
- Purchase other items across the wider organization including but limited to shared goods, cleaning supplies, office goods etc.
- Manage product lead times, ensure project timelines are met and problem solve issues should they arise
- Track orders, deliveries and inventory to ensure FF&E has arrived and is able to meet project schedules, including managing Common contracted 3PLs to ensure visibility into Common inventory
- Manage and report on project budgets
- Approve payments and maintain records of all transactions, purchase orders and receipts
- Proactively communicate and coordinate with other internal departments to ensure project timelines and budgets are met
- Negotiate trading terms and discounts with vendors
- Analyze FF&E replacement costs and procurement expenses to identify trends and opportunities
- Develop, improve and execute purchasing strategies
- And other ad-hoc projects and responsibilities from time to time and based on business needs
- BA or BS degree or equivalent work experience
- 1-2 years minimum in a purchasing or buying position (experience using an ERP (Netsuite) system a bonus, although not required)
- Advanced Excel skills
- Ability to manage tasks and deadlines across multiple projects
- Strong attention to detail + resourceful problem solver
- Emotional Intelligence + strong interpersonal skills
- Scrappy and resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude who will ask for help when needed
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.