Senior Director, Category Strategy & Business Development at HomeAdvisor
At HomeAdvisor, we are revolutionizing the way that every American homeowner improves and maintains their home. We do this by creating digital products and experiences to help hundreds of millions of homeowners connect with talented service professionals to get work done. We are a two-sided marketplace that is reimagining how people care for and improve their homes while also nurturing growth of independent small businesses. As #1 in the Homeservices category, our tremendous scale is the launchpad to boundless inventions in technology and product!
About the Role
HomeAdvisor is seeking to fill a key role in its newly formed Category Management, Home Exterior team. HomeAdvisor’s leadership launched this team to ensure we develop targeted strategies, tailored product, and optimized operations to address the unique needs of Homeowners and Service Professionals we serve – all in the strong belief that this is necessary to unlock and further accelerate the company’s growth.
HomeAdvisor is seeking a highly analytical leader with strategy and business development experience to join the Category Management team. This is a unique opportunity to work on HomeAdvisor’s critical and highest growth revenue initiatives and to own the performance of an important part of our overall business – from early testing through to build and scale. You will be responsible for driving strategy to maximize category revenue and health, envisioning and nurturing the company’s relationship with a broad set of industry partners, setting and managing executional priorities, and leading critical cross-company efforts. This role reports to the General Manager of Category Management for Home Exterior.
This is a cross-functional role that will work closely with and integrate efforts across a range of departments and stakeholders both internally and externally (in Sales, Business Development, Consumer Partnerships, Product, Finance, Operations, Customer Experience and Legal), solving a range of diverse and challenging problems. From identifying, sizing, and executing growth opportunities in key relationships, to shaping and driving projects that will improve the homeowner and supplier experience, you will be responsible for HomeAdvisor's continued growth and maintaining a forward-looking vision for our role in the Home Exterior industry.
What you'll do
- Identify and drive tangible financial and growth opportunities for the Home Exterior category
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive perspective on the Home Exterior industry, its underlying dynamics, and how it will evolve in the coming decades
- Define and maintain a relationship-level point of view on motivations and needs of key partners, as well as HomeAdvisor’s priorities and near-term objectives of our relationships with each
- Own and shape a cohesive Home Exterior strategy for external partners and partner with internal teams to unify and align cross-functional pursuits
- Lend category-specific perspective, insight and support to internal functional teams in pursuit of their goals
- Lead brainstorming/ideation sessions with large/national service providers, manufacturers, and distributors, in partnership with internal teams, to identify and shape development of new and better product experiences for pros
- Lead brainstorming/ideation sessions with broader industry partners, in partnership with internal teams, to design new models of collaboration and integration to deliver a best-in-class homeowner experience
- Own analyses that provide actionable insight into business metrics, issues, and business opportunities; develop and execute plans to realize these opportunities
- Build dynamic models to inform everyday and long-term decision making
- Prepare clear, concise pitches and presentations that summarize points of view, insights and recommendations from strategic projects
- Present findings to internal and external stakeholders on a weekly basis
- Travel to meet with pros/partners and represent HomeAdvisor at industry events (estimated 25-50% of the time in normal business circumstances)
What we're looking for
- 10+ years of professional experience with evidence of increasing responsibility in a Strategy or Business Development-adjacent business role, ideally both
- Exceptional strategic thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Tactical experience designing, prioritizing and executing strategic relationship/account management plans
- Demonstrated experience successfully engaging partners in new product/growth/integration pursuit with a common objective
- Very strong, concise communication and presentation skills, with a keen attention to detail
- Proficiency in Excel and familiarity with use of databases preferred
- Creative problem-solver with excitement to partner on cross-functional teams and projects
- Humble and effective cross-functional team player with demonstrated leadership potential
- Significant exposure to B2B marketing preferred
- Prior experience managing a team is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- MBA not required, but preferred
- A passion for HomeAdvisor and where it is headed