SVP, Strategy and New Business Incubation
The Strategy & Incubation group (S&I) at CB Insights is a new group that will focus on strategy development for the company and the incubation of new businesses. The group’s activities include corporate strategy, customer & market insights, and the launching of new businesses (akin to an entrepreneur-in-residence).
A core focus of the group will be on identifying and building businesses in new growth areas that will expand the business boundaries of CBI. This is not a traditional corporate strategy role. It will be insanely fast-paced with high expectations to analyze and launch a number of businesses which we can ultimately scale up.
- Refine existing new business ideas through research and client / prospective client feedback
- Incubate projects in growth areas by using a “test & learn” approach: Develop hypothesis, design, execute and measure experiments to build conviction, adjust or stop
- For businesses we deem worth launching, launch them and get them to a minimum scale that general managers can be brought into run and scale those further
- Do end-to-end work to launch a new business which may include doing everything from product marketing to sales enablement to conducting and closing sales opportunities with prospects
- Discover unmet customer needs and extract customer needs/challenges that inspire the ideas for tomorrow’s businesses
- Build cross-functional, dedicated teams that can go from concept creation to graduation of concepts into businesses for scaling
- Create clear ownership for project tasks for team members
- Present recommendations, key findings, progress and challenges to senior leaders on at least a monthly basis
- Collaborate with a network of internal and external partners to identify, launch and refine business ideas
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, business or equivalent required. MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Management consulting experience required
- 8+ year experience working in technology start-ups, product planning groups, or consulting firms including creation and delivery of novel products or experiences
Experience working in a challenger brand or startup
- Broad knowledge of the enterprise growth process including the inorganic and organic strategies (build, buy, partner) organizations employ, the challenges they encounter and ideas on how they can be done better
Keys to success
- Move fast - We are a challenger brand. Speed is a weapon. We believe an imperfect but mostly right answer today is better than a perfect answer tomorrow. We want to test and launch new business ideas quickly. Being tenacious and relentlessly resourceful is key.
- Magnet for talent - You must have managerial experience including building amazing teams and leading and developing teams with diverse skill sets
- Humble - We have developed strong antibodies to arrogance or hints of arrogance
- Helpful - This role will require building strong partnerships throughout CBI and with clients. Being a helpful colleague is important.
- High IQ - You will be developing and analyzing a number of markets and business ideas which may be quite varied. You should be able to deal with ambiguity, understand ideas quickly and use a systems thinking mindset to look at an opportunity to understand the constituent parts to understand where the opportunities and challenges may arise and how to prioritize.
- Great communicator - You should be able to synthesize information quickly and cogently present it both internally and to clients via the appropriate medium (presentation, phone, blog post, etc).
- High standards - This one doesn’t require much explanation
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.