Underwriting Trainer at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is seeking an Underwriting Trainer to support our rapidly-growing enablement team in the roll out of an internal training program, Better University. This individual will facilitate the training of our internal employees, providing current members of our Mortgage Operations functions with a unique opportunity to evolve their mortgage expertise and establish a career in Underwriting at Better. Our ideal candidate is a strong Underwriter with extensive industry knowledge and 2+ years of direct training / facilitation experience, preferably within a start-up or fast-paced, hyper-growth environment. The Underwriting Trainer will operate as a bridge between Underwriting and Learning and Development at Better, facilitating the successful launch and scale of Better University as we continue to build out our programming. Our ideal candidate will embody what has remained at the forefront of our mission - taking a customer-first approach in everything that we do.Responsibilities will Include:
As Better's Underwriting Trainer, your responsibilities will be wide in scope. You can expect to actively contribute in the following ways:
- Facilitate internal underwriting training courses to current Better Mortgage Operations employees
- Contribute to ongoing training plans and support the ramp process to ensure successful underwriting training
- Ensure all participants are trained effectively and efficiently on key underwriting concepts; devise innovative solutions to engage participants and facilitate an excellent employee experience
- Assist with the creation of customized educational content covering issues applicable to the mortgage industry and underwriting at large
- Effectively identify patterns and implement sustainable solutions for areas of improvement as we continue to scale
- Monitor training program metrics and report actionable insights to stakeholders
- 3+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and non-conforming mortgages
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process, underwriting methodology and philosophy
- 2+years in Learning and Development and/or facilitation experience in the mortgage industry
- Goal-oriented problem solver that can prepare and execute action plans.
- Composure and decision-making ability in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment.
- Excellent communication, organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to build relationships and partner efficiently with stakeholders
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.