Senior Engineer: Observability Applications
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
Ultimately, we want you to be passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As a Software Engineer in our Observability Applications team, you’ll help lead development of full-stack applications built to help teams make sense of their services. The OA team is a small, cohesive group that works in tandem with the Observability Platforms team to create a full-stack window into the performance and reliability of critical products and services within DO. This position can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC or in Cambridge, MA.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing, writing and running the applications that provide visibility into how our cloud is operating and performing to teams throughout the company
- Providing guidance to other engineers on how they can best utilize our apps to gain confidence that their services are performing as expected
- Collaborating with other teams on how we can improve our apps to provide the visibility they need into theirs
- Researching emerging tools, trends and methodologies and enhancing existing systems and processes
- Working with exciting technologies such as Prometheus, Mesos, Go, Docker, Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and more
- Contributing back to the open source software that we rely on
What We'll Expect From You:
- An ability to work at all levels of the stack (while our specific group is focused primarily on the front-end, we do have full-stack ownership of certain applications)
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: metrics and logging libraries and aggregators, message queuing, horizontally scalable data stores, configuration management, distributed schedulers, microservices
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Go, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- Basic fluency with SQL
- A love for data driven decision making
- An ability to work well as part of a distributed team
- Excellent communication skills for interaction with both technical and non-technical colleagues
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.