Senior Product Designer
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Design at Venmo
We love making things, so our days are spent with our heads together, pondering the right things to make and how they should work. We huddle with engineers, product managers, marketing, and researchers, working closely together on projects from start to finish, and turn ideas into beautiful, simple, and lovable products that work well and convert. We have white-boarding jam sessions, prototype thoughtful stories, and create pixel-perfect designs that bring it all together. We design separately and together, teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests. We know we're never completely done. We ship, iterate, and learn from our users.
What does it mean to be a Product Designer at Venmo?
To you, there's nothing more addictive than making things that matter and showing them to people. You like telling stories, and it drives you nuts when the pixels don't come together to form a bigger picture with some meaning and feeling in between the lines. You’re fascinated by the social nuances inherent in giving and receiving money between friends, and you know that the phone in your pocket is inevitably changing the gears of commerce. You love things outside of design and can teach us neat facts about them. You have a sense of humor.
What we expect from candidates in this role:
- You have 6+ years of experience designing products at a consumer-facing product company with significant focus on creating mobile experiences.
- You have a deep understanding of design processes and methods developed through experience and you balance fidelity with agility based on the task at hand.
- Your analytical thinking is rigorous and communication is precise, and it shows instantly.
- You're interested in exploring and experimenting without attachment.
- You can make decisions and rally various types of people around them.
- You can spend long stretches with your sleeves rolled up in execution mode, and your Sketch files show your ability to organize your designs precisely and in a way that’s optimized for communicating the right things with the engineering team.
- You have a knack for understanding people and how they like to do things, and can combine that with testing and data to make sound design decisions.
- You know when to involve others and escalate issues.
- Your portfolio shows your range of skills: UX, research, visual design, UI, storytelling, persona creation, and design process.
- Being technically fluent is very helpful (but not required) — especially if you're able to leverage that expertise to build prototypes that convey your creative vision.
What you will do:
- Own iOS and Android design features and projects from idea to launch and then through subsequent iteration with minimal guidance.
- Work closely with Venmo teammates from many disciplines (from product management to engineering to analytics) to define problem spaces, design solutions, and help drive design strategy.
- Develop ideas and concepts quickly and at low-fidelity, and collaboratively develop unexpected and stupendous designs that can be built.
- Create compelling screen designs using Sketch, prototype ideas in tools like InVision, and build beautiful transitions and animations in tools like Framer.
- Execute on visual and interaction designs that scales across devices and OSs’.
- Mentor and guide other designers at Venmo as they progress in their careers and craft.
- Refine our processes and help define best practices for design at Venmo.
Nice to have:
- You’ve worked closely with software engineers and know how to successfully collaborate using tools like Jira.
- Being technically fluent.
- Experience designing financial and/or social apps
- Experience with or an understanding of financial systems
- A sense of humor (in fact, this is a requirement, now that we think about it)
Please include your portfolio/website, work samples, Dribbble, github, etc. in your application. Applicants who do not include these examples in their application will not be considered.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.