Software Engineer, Backend
Scale matters. When it comes to our video platform, scale means ingesting tens of thousands of hours of video a day, and serving thousands of videos every second.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our rapidly growing Media Engineering team. Responsible for tasks related to our media Transcoding, Delivery and Live Streaming systems, the right candidate will relish the opportunity to be part of a highly talented continuous delivery organization. This means designing the processes and building the APIs, infrastructure, pipelines, testing, monitoring, and all other tooling you feel is necessary to ship code frequently of the highest possible caliber.
As a member of the Media Engineering Team, you will:
- Contribute to the technology and architecture of a global production-scale service layer
- Build features which serve customer-driven product goals
- Code as part of a very technical team in a fast paced, agile environment
- Prototype new ideas and explore new solutions to the growing list of problems the platform solves
You have the skills to be successful in this role if you have:
- 5+ years of software development and engineering
- Bachelor's degree (or more) in a Computer Science or related field; or equivalent experience
- Proven track record of ownership of maintainable, stable and scalable software
- Experience with microservices or SOA: designing, creating, deploying, testing and monitoring
- Experience doing test-driven development (TDD) and/or behavior-driven development (BDD)
- Strong understanding of source control management systems
- Strong Unix/Linux skills
- Strong coding skills in one or more of; Python, Java, C/C++, Go.
It is a plus if you have:
- Database design and RDBMS concepts, experience doing domain-driven design
- Contributed to existing open-source projects as well as your own
- Experience building scalable systems with cloud infrastructures like AWS or Google Cloud
- Experience with event-driven or message-driven architectures
- Knowledge of video encoding, ad networks, content management platforms, and/or streaming protocols
- Experience with web video (HTML5 and/or Flash)
- Experience with Docker and/or Linux Containers
JW Player is the world’s largest network-independent video platform. Founded in 2008 as the first open source video player, today JW Player’s customers span the globe across 193 countries, and range from Fortune 500 companies to video-centric small businesses. The company’s flagship product, JW Player, delivers millions of plays per month across nearly 2 billion unique devices — OTT, mobile and desktop. In addition to the player, the company’s services include advertising, analytics, data services, video hosting and streaming. For more information, see http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.