JOB TITLE: DATA VISUALIZER
LOCATION: NEW YORK, NY
Saavn is the world’s largest South Asian focused music streaming service with millions of monthly active users. We are 150 entrepreneurs, across New York, California, Mumbai, Gurgaon, and Bangalore, who help music lovers access, discover, and listen to their favorite music across all languages and genres. We blend digital technology, data analysis (which we have affectionately coined Music Science), and a strong, fearless business acumen to reach all corners of the globe.
Through partnerships with Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Shazam - to name a few - Saavn reaches more music fans than any other South Asian service. Our award-winning mobile products, partnerships, and thought leadership have been featured in some of the world’s leading publications, such as The New York Times, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, The Economic Times, The Times of India, CNBC, and many more. We are well-funded by some of the world’s most successful institutional investors and global media companies, including Tiger Global Management, Bertelsmann, Steadview Capital, Liberty Media, Mousse Partners, Quilvest, and a number of strategic individuals. Beyond investing, these are advisors and supporters of our vision, our passion, and our collective ability to deliver a revolutionary music experience as the leader in India.
At Saavn, we ignite passion and performance to work towards a collective goal: building a mobile entertainment ecosystem and the best possible music experience for hundreds of millions of people. From in-office performances by some of the world’s most beloved musicians to opportunities for international travel, Saavn offers a dynamic and unconventional work environment. We believe creativity and technology blend together like sweet melodies. When you choose Saavn, you join a diverse world of high-caliber techies, artists, and inventors, hailing from companies like Yahoo!, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, Qualcomm, HBO, Microsoft, Flipkart, Amazon, Paytm, Quikr, MSN, and NDTV. We are amongst the few digital companies that provide tremendous opportunities for high-tech work in Mumbai, that one would have to otherwise seek in Silicon Valley. Our value-based, people-first work culture is about empowering every individual on our global team to be a catalyst for change in this dynamic digital world. Every day is an opportunity to bring your thinking to life, and to expand, learn, and grow. No idea is left unconsidered. No voice is left unheard.
The Data Visualizer will be responsible for the design and creation of visualizations of new high-impact visual applications to make data actionable and facilitate decision making for Saavn and our investors. Seeking a designer capable of converting text and data into rich visual representations. This role requires translating data into a format that can be presented using a compact and creative approach that is engaging, easily interpretable, specific, relevant and accurate.
- Responsible for supporting the development and delivery of high visibility, high performing, and scalable solutions
- Work on a wide portfolio of visualization projects, supporting multiple departments
- Support the Data Science team with the understanding of business and data requirements, and iteratively design visualizations for initial concepts and prototypes that can be presented for feedback
- Collaboratively identify the best means to visually depict the intermediate as well as final data analytics results in ways to provide effective process for mining new insights and assisting in decision making for solving complex problems
- Apply design and data analysis techniques to organize the presentation of data in visually innovative ways in order to make it easier to understand, insightful, and actionable by end users
- Lead the complete lifecycle of visual analytical applications; from development of mock-ups and storyboards to complete production ready application
- Manage a repository of re-usable data visualization templates and views
- Maintain awareness of industry trends in technology, data news, design and media. This includes programming, content, community, user interfaces and information architecture
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Related Technical Field or Equivalent Experience
- 4+ years relevant work experience, including demonstrated experience in designing usable web-based interfaces (web, tablet, mobile)
- Expert knowledge of data visualization tools is preferable and excellent at using Data visualization libraries such as D3.js (Have a portfolio/samples of past work)
- Expert CSS & HTML skills. Solid knowledge of Sketch or Adobe Photoshop (or Illustrator).
- Demonstrated proficiency with data modeling and visualization
- Curious about translating raw data to insights and good understanding of Industry best practices
- Ability to work fluidly across internal and external cross-functional teams such as Product, Brand Solutions, Marketing, etc.
- Experience translating graphic designs to PowerPoint presentations
- Translate requirements into highly engaging and compelling design concepts
- Effectively conceptualize, design and create high-quality visuals in a variety of digital formats including PPT and infographics
- Comprehend numerically driven or abstract concepts and convert them into appropriate, visually compelling representations under deadline and without factual error
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills and abilities
- Proven ability to act as a leader in communicating conceptual ideas and design rationale
- Understand the importance of user research and usability studies, and can drive gorilla style research
- Ability to swiftly tweak and troubleshoot design and interaction issues in a browser or on a mobile device
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
At Saavn, we blur work and play, and you get all the perks of a global company. You will get to work with a dynamic group of entrepreneurs, who are delivering results and working zealously across time zones to make a difference in the way the world experiences music. We love what we do, and we think you will too.
- Premium health coverage (medical, dental, and vision)
- Discounted gym membership
- 401K Matching Contributions
- Flexible vacation policies
- Free healthy (and unhealthy) lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Saavn-sponsored team outings
WE ARE PROUD TO BE AN EEO EMPLOYER M/F/D/V