Knewton is on a mission to personalize learning for the world. Teachers, schools, and education companies use Knewton to power digital course materials that dynamically adapt to each student’s unique needs. Knewton provides students with tailored recommendations for exactly what to study, teachers with analytics to better support each student, and publishers with content insights to develop more effective digital products.
Knewton has delivered more than 15 billion personalized recommendations to over 10 million students on every continent except Antarctica. Knewton was founded in 2008 and is headquartered in New York City with offices in London and Tokyo. We have also been recognized as a Technology Pioneer at the World Economic Forum in Davos, one of the top 100 Best Places to work by Crain’s New York Business and one of the Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Big Data. Investments top $150M from well-known angel investors plus Accel, Bessemer, First Round Capital, Firstmark, Founders Fund, GSV and Atomico.
Our team is seeking a an engineer who has experience in both writing production code and maintaining systems to join our Site Reliability team. You'll work on a team with a diverse background with many years of experience. Our team objectives are chosen by the team based on our engineering experience and the needs of the development teams. All of our engineers are expected to participate in identifying, prioritizing, and executing on these projects - we don't just crush tickets off a backlog.What you’ll be focusing on:
- Scalability:We are currently anticipating user subscription growth in our newest project to be 100x in the next year.
- Automation: We have 160 Cassandra nodes that are self healing and scaling but that is just the beginning. We need to do that with Mesos and more.
- Resiliency: We're looking beyond hardware failures and into staying up in a hostile world.
- Our technology: AWS, Docker, Mesos, Cassandra, Kafka, Zookeeper, Ansible
- Languages in production: Java, Python, Ruby, Rust, Go and maybe some Fortran if you dig too deep
- Minimum 2 years experience
- Experience on a development team pushing production code
- Experience maintaining production infrastructure / databases
- Must be comfortable in a Linux environment and using a cloud provider
- Experience with distributed HA systems such as Mesos/Mesosphere/Cassandra a plus
- Experience building and maintaining Docker images and Docker repositories a plus
- Experience with configuration management (ansible / puppet / terraform / etc) a plus
- Competitive salary, great benefits, and equity
- Flexible hours, no vacation policy, and paid maternity/paternity leave
- High-quality equipment (Mac or PC)
- Frequent guest speakers and tech/edtech Meetups hosted at Knewton HQ
- Social groups and sports teams
- Catered lunch everyday in the office, all-day snacks, and a full bar
- Free monthly MetroCards/PATH cards
- Pet Friendly