What We're Looking For
2U partners with leading colleges and universities to deliver the world’s best online degree programs so students everywhere can reach their full potential. Our cloud-based software-as-a-service platform provides schools with the comprehensive operating infrastructure they need to attract, enroll, educate, support, and graduate students globally. We accomplish our goal only if the learning experience is effective for all learners.
You’ll focus on making 2U’s sites and tools more accessible for students with visual, hearing, motor, or cognitive impairments—some of whom may use assistive technology. You’ll deepen the accessibility expertise of the team, enabling a self-sufficient and sustainable universal design practice.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Work with designers, developers, and testers to create accessible working prototypes, tools, websites, and instructional content
- Perform accessibility audits of coursework content, workflows, and digital properties to identify and prioritize potential barriers to access
- Act as an evangelist for accessible design and development—lead accessibility discussions, moderate working sessions, build empathy, and share insights
- Be recognized and approachable as an authority and subject matter expert in accessibility and usability, staying ahead of industry trends and best practices
- Collaborate with content, testing, and support specialists across multiple product teams
- Contribute to business processes and documentation to support a successful institution-wide initiative
Things That Should Be in Your Background
- Experience working with accessibility within the context of higher education and connections to the community of accessibility professionals
- Understanding of accessibility APIs and/or accessibility testing tools
- Familiarity with workflow and use models for closed captions and transcripts
- Experience with accessible mobile development and testing
- Knowledge of and experience with how people with a variety of disabilities use assistive technologies (e.g., screen reader, screen magnifier, keyboard-only access)
- Ability to analyze the impact of a barrier to accessibility (e.g., frequency, severity, affected user group) and assist product owners in prioritizing issues
- Awareness of current trends in digital accessibility, universal design, policy, and best practices
- Successful in working with a team of highly skilled people, each with strong opinions about various technologies, frameworks, and approaches to delivery
- Ability to use your expertise to guide others’ work and establish standards and expectations
- Able to produce results independently as well as collaboratively in a team
- Must be self-motivated, action-oriented, and highly effective in verbal and written communications
- Knowledge of and experience with software development best practices, techniques, and tools (both custom and off-the-shelf) in a fast-paced, iterative development environment
- Talent for building trust and relationships to effectively collaborate and propel multiple groups/tasks to completion
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 12 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.