Associate Producer, Weekends
NowThis is seeking an Associate Producer to create social video on our Breaking News team on the weekend schedule. This is an entry-level video journalist position, that will allow the person in this role to create short-form video stories for mobile and social audiences. Working with the #1 video news brand on the social web, you’ll be creating content for the social, mobile generation by informing, entertaining and inspiring our audience about what’s happening and important. Weekend producers will work any 5 days per week, as long as schedule includes Saturday and Sunday. They will help lead breaking news coverage on weekends for major news events, in office and sometimes, in the field.
This position reports to the Senior Producer, Weekends Please send your resume, cover letter and clips with this application.
- Constantly scour the web and social feeds for the most important, engaging and visual trending news stories of the day and quickly turn them into compelling short-form videos
- Own the video creation process from pitch to publish (ideas, reporting, scripting, asset gathering, video editing, prep for publishing)
- Discover and fact check stories using real-time news-gathering tools
- Master the NowThis video editing style and graphics package
- Channel the NowThis voice, creating smart, digestible scripts that drive social media conversation
- Turn around scripts and video edits on tight deadlines (several quickturn videos per day)
- Conduct interviews with subjects (in person, on social or remotely) to add a unique perspective and push the story forward
- Work breaking news and event coverage as needed, sometimes in off-hours
- Collaborate with the Head of Social Video and Publishing, to use data to further optimize, A/B test and overall improve the performance of your videos
- 1-3 years video editing experience in digital media or a newsroom
- Ability to work on deadline, under pressure and juggle multiple projects
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere Pro and Photoshop a must, After Effects is a plus)
- A curious, critical thinker, always looking for stories & has a passion for visual storytelling
- Strong grammar, writing and copy editing skills a plus
- A sharp understanding of social media and video platforms
- Breaking news experience a plus
- Familiarity with DSLR cameras, basic lighting and mobile filmmaking a plus
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.