The Copywriter, Snapchat works closely with the Editorial Lead, Snapchat and is responsible for writing original copy for our 5x/week Snapchat Discover channel, and making edits to copy from Thrillist travel stories to be a better fit on Snapchat. This position will create and deliver the words and content that accompanies all visual elements on Snapchat by utilizing existing written + video travel content and by constantly honing the Thrillist voice in unique and innovative (and fun!) ways. This role liaises closely with the entire Snapchat Discover team to remain on brand, and will collaborate with the expanded Thrillist Travel team when content is being produced around a special event.
The ideal candidate is passionate about digital media and travel; knowledgeable about different cultures, geography, and the world around them (and eager to learn much more); is highly skilled at recognizing good headlines and writing engaging copy that pulls people in; and is creative in coming up with new ways to make people more excited to travel. This person has endless curiosity, a passion for working collaboratively, and thrives in fast-paced, adaptable environments. It’s key to be able to function as part of a team while owning your individual voice and ideas as a representation of the Thrillist brand.
This position offers the unique opportunity for a talented, driven, and creative individual to produce original text that propels Thrillist’s brand aesthetic on Snapchat Discover, all while infusing it with humor and flair. Each member of the Snapchat Discover team contributes weekly in pitch meetings.
This position reports to the Editorial Lead, Snapchat. Please send your resume, cover letter and writing samples with this application.
- Write unique and engaging headlines and accompanying copy for multiple daily top-snaps, captions, travel quips, and much more for daily publishing on Snapchat Discover
- Top-edit travel content and think creatively about how to get our audience to engage more deeply with us
- Communicate constantly with the Editorial Lead to manage daily workflow of stories and accompanying text
- Ensure the words you write are informative, timely, fresh, and fun, funny, cohesive, and represent the Thrillist brand and voice
- Work closely with the Editorial Lead and Executive Editor to maintain, improve and channel the Thrillist voice and tone
- Proofread copy for spelling and grammar errors
- Immerse yourself within the Discover platform and our target audience in order to create effective Snaps
- Write clear, persuasive, original copy
- Own responsibility for tone and voice of each snap across the platform
- Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as journalism, digital media, or scriptwriting, preferred
- 1-3 years of experience copywriting or writing, preferably at a digital media company
- Highly creative thinker
- CMS fluency
- Be a self-starter with an interest in storytelling and new media
- Empathy and the ability to see the perspectives and views of others are integral, as is the ability to take creative feedback and criticism, and adapt to new learnings and a quickly evolving landscape
- Curious, nimble, process driven, and super organized
- Extremely creative, with an eye for detail
- Understand the unique Thrillist visual voice and style
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Collaborative and receptive to constructive criticism
- Looks at each project as an opportunity for growth
- Able to keep a sense of humor under pressure
- Background in digital and social content creation is a plus
- Strong creative judgement and strong storytelling skills; a passion for travel and video
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.