Editor, Photo Sr.
The New York Daily News with Tronc (formerly Tribune Publishing), seeks a thoughtful, energetic and creative journalist to join our staff as a Senior Photo Editor. This Photo Editor will work quickly and urgently to post photos on our website, prepare photography for our print product and coordinate photo assignments and coverage.
The Senior Photo Editor will be working in a fast-paced newsroom with quick deadlines. The candidate must possess initiative, creativity, good news judgment, design skills, copy editing skills, attention to detail, the ability to multitask, and a strong command of the English language.
The Senior Photo Editor will be responsible for making sure images receive proper vetting and licensing before publication. He/she will be fulfilling a steady stream of art requests throughout the day while juggling gallery production, photographer assigning and some administrative tasks such as monitoring usage reports and invoices.
This position is ideal for a candidate that is creative, intelligent, resourceful, collaborative, and has a passion to edit. This position does not include taking pictures and will not serve as an inroad to becoming a photographer for the New York Daily News.
At tronc, we believe in comprehensive rewards packages:
- Competitive salaries
- Exciting opportunities with room for growth within the company
- A competitive insurance package including medical, dental, vision, and life
- 401(k) with company matching
- Paid time off
- Other coordinated discounts/perks
- Research, gather and select photos from the Daily News archive, freelance contributors, wires and other sources for publishing online and in print
- Work with (and sometimes edit) photos, illustrations, infographics, maps, charts, GIFs and video
- Crop and tone photos for publication
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment on photo usage
- Build photo galleries for website on a daily basis
- Write/edit photo captions and credits (grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy) based on AP style
- Work with contributors and sources to clarify information to be published
- Confirm with photographers, contributors or agencies to ensure accuracy
- Research and communicate image rights and licensing
- Work closely with other editors, online producers and reporters to identify information that is best displayed visually or in a non-narrative form
- Manage multiple assignments, short- and long-term
- Work with speed and accuracy to meet production deadlines
- Be a self-starter and maintain an efficient workflow under minimal supervision
- Attend and participate in meetings with peers and supervisors regularly
- At least two years of photo editing experience at a publication with a strong online presence
- Proven ability to multitask
- Ability to edit and re-write photo captions accurately, with clarity, without bias
- Must be able and willing to work irregular hours, nights, weekends and holidays as necessary
- Should have a strong interest in current events with knowledge of news, sports and pop culture personalities
- Solid editorial background, regardless of platform/medium
- Must be proficient on a PC computer (not a Mac)
- Must be proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Strong online detective skills using the Internet and social media
- Solid journalistic credentials with comprehensive knowledge of media law including copyright, libel, two-party consent, privacy, and fair use, in addition to a highly developed sense of ethics.
New York Daily News has been serving New York City for nearly 100 years and is part of tronc, Inc. (formerly Tribune Publishing), one of the most respected media companies in the world.
tronc, Inc. (NASDAQ:TRNC) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, tronc operates newsrooms in nine markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida's Sun-Sentinel, Newport News, Virginia’s Daily Press, Allentown, Pennsylvania's The Morning Call, and Hartford Courant. Our legacy of brands has earned a combined 94 Pulitzer Prizes and is committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities.
Our brands create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.