NowThis is seeking a Producer to create social videos for our Context and Issues team. This is a mid-level video journalist position, that will allow the person in this role to create mid-form video stories and longer feature pieces for NowThis Media’s cross-platform channels.
This position reports to the Deputy/Managing Editor. Please send your resume, cover letter and video examples with this application.
- Develop, own, and follow-up on context stories related to the news cycle - sometimes with minimal direction. The idea is to do mid- and long-form deep dives that put trending news stories into context for our audience, i.e. the increase in powerful hurricanes, the controversy over Confederate statues, etc.
- Own the video creation process from pitch to publish (ideas, reporting, scripting, asset gathering, video editing, prep for publishing)
- Turn around scripts and video edits on tight deadlines (2-4 videos per week, likely ranging from 3-12 minutes)
- Channel the NowThis voice, creating smart, digestible scripts that drive social media conversations
- Plan ahead for evergreen context pieces and feature stories that can live on our channels for longer than a day or a week and work on executing these in a timely fashion
- Conceptualize and develop both new series and formats for our current programming (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Instagram Stories, Snapchat Discover, and more)
- Master the NowThis video editing style and graphics package
- Organize and schedule pre-interview or pre-shoot logistics and details
- Conduct interviews with subjects (in person, on social, or remotely via Skype) to add a unique perspective and push each story forward
- Own the relationship with freelancers, partners, and contributors as projects come up
- Create multiple platform-appropriate edits of all original content
- Work closely with the Deputy Editor to improve the performance of your videos
- Collaborate with Head of Social Video, using data to A/B test and further optimize your work
- A passion for news innovation and storytelling.
- 3-5 years video editing experience at a digital media organization or a newsroom
- Expert in Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere Pro and Photoshop a must, After Effects is a plus)
- Proven ability to work on deadline, under pressure, and juggle multiple projects at one time
- A curious, creative, critical thinker, always looking for stories & passionate about visual storytelling
- Sharp understanding of social media and video platforms
- Advanced problem solving skills, ability to troubleshoot technical problems
- Ability to film in the field on your own or skilled at directing others on a shoot
- Ability to work independently and love of collaborating in small teams
- Eager to create projects with other video makers from start to finish
- Proven ability to generate original ideas while also taking on stories as assigned
- Strong grammar, writing, and copy editing skills a plus
- Familiarity with DSLR cameras, basic lighting, and mobile filmmaking a plus
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.