VP, Content & Communications at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
Reporting to the CMO, the VP of Content and Communications will be responsible for creating and executing the strategy necessary to achieve our aggressive targets for growing our community, building our brand, and delivering on self-service revenue. We are looking for an experienced marketing leader with a proven track record of building high-performance teams to deliver sustainable results. They thrive in a fast-paced environment and have a reputation for creating alignment with sales; delivering value for internal and external partners; and inspiring a culture of transparency, collaboration and shared success. Public Relations, Developer Education, Technical Editing, and Content Marketing report into this leader.We want people who are passionate about the power of storytelling, strategic positioning, and thought leadership.
How can we best serve our customers and prospects at each point in the buyer’s journey? The ideal candidate has a passion for aligning content and communication initiatives to awareness and revenue goals, and will be held accountable for KPIs and quotas accordingly. They have proven success collaborating with cross-functional marketing teams as well as working with related product, web development, and creative teams to envision, execute, and measure content programs that fuel the self-service funnel, as well as position DigitalOcean as a thought leader. This VP of Content and Communications can be remote-based anywhere in the USA.What You’ll Be Doing: Leadership, Strategy, Execution
- Lead a high-performing team of writers, editors, educators, and internal and external communications experts that focus on serving our company and community through thoughtful messaging and educational assets
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for best-in-class content to guide the team as we grow our community website and introduce new content programs to serve our existing and new target markets
- Act as lead storyteller for the brand and own all messaging: create unique and compelling company, category, and product/technology narratives to continue to raise our profile and elevate our brand in the market
- Build a Content Marketing Team that will deliver compelling and data-driven editorial content and customer stories
- Demonstrate impeccable skill with cross-functional work to create and implement a DigitalOcean voice and style guide that will ensure a consistent experience through multiple customer and prospect touchpoints
- Establish and lead overall internal and external communications strategy - inclusive of public relations, media relations, crisis communications, internal communications, and social media/community functions
- Advance the strategy and voice for executive communications; including speaking engagements, media interviews, social media channels, and internal communications
- Execute annual media and analyst relations programs including content, briefing schedule, relevant events, agency relationships, and budget management
- Oversee our earned media program across trade, business, and tech publications to maximize DigitalOcean’s share of voice and brand recognition
- Work closely with the Revenue Marketing Team to fuel the self-service revenue funnel with content initiatives to drive and hit conversion and expansion goals
- Report on performance of team initiatives (in partnership with the data and analytics team) to executive leadership
- Significant content marketing leadership experience in tech - SaaS experience a plus
- Deep understanding of the developer and technical entrepreneurial mindset, and the needs of small and medium developer teams
- Results focused with strong prioritization skills and “win as a team” mentality
- Experience with marketing automation (Marketo) and sales automation/CRM (Salesforce.com) reporting and campaign features with an understanding of how to measure content performance
- Creative thinker with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Prior success leading teams through market expansion and periods of high growth and rapid change
- Experience in a successful startup or emerging growth technology company that markets to developers is an asset
- Organized with strong time management and project management skills
- Leads by influence, empowers teams and develops employees and creates an environment where team members are encouraged to take risks and innovate to improve programs, processes, personal skills and customer experience
- Customer focused, collaborative, self-aware, servant leader who contributes to and thrives in a culture of trust, transparency, initiative, respect, enthusiasm, fun, accountability and the ownership principle that the company’s success is my success
- BA/BS degree - MA, MS or MBA preferred
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Marketing #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Marketing team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!