Data Engineer at DoSomething.org
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
● 3+ years of experience in a dedicated data team role with a substantial
engineering component, working within modern analytics teams in
high-growth, high-performance environments.
● Highly skilled in analytical SQL in support of advanced data modeling/
transformations, templating languages (such as Jinja), and manipulating
multiple data formats (XML, JSON)
● 2-3 years of experience with R / Python or similar languages in a production
● Familiarity developing, debugging, and deploying infrastructure within a
cloud environment and can maintain/ enhance custom data integrations
● Experience w/ modern data stack technologies including:
o BI reporting tools (e.g. Tableau)
o data transformation systems (dbt preferred)
o cloud data pipelines (e.g. Fivetran, Stitch)
o orchestration (e.g. Jenkins, dbtCloud)
o data warehouse environments (e.g. Redshift, Snowflake)
● Track record of collaborating with other data professionals and technical
teams to develop a data platform, including upstream requirements, data
model, data workflows, SLOs, etc
● Comfortable driving multiple stages of data tools project cycle, e.g.
identification of data platform problems-to-be-solved, solution evaluation,
proof-of-concept, & implementation
● Relentlessly focused on sustainable data quality and leads the conversation
on standards & best practices (ie. version control, testing, continuous
● Understanding of best practices around modeling data within specific
business domains (e.g. marketing, product, member retention)
● Knowledge of how to easily break down ambiguous problems and propose
impactful data modeling designs
● Extend the schema in collaboration with the data team’s needs, find and deal
with bad data and duplicates, optimize storage and retrieval.
● Simplify, extend, refactor, and test, all in Python. Document our processes
and our reasoning.
● Data ingestion of new data sources, whether from our own apps or external
services, by API integrations and streaming events.
WHO YOU ARE
● You are solutions oriented and can navigate complex or constrained
situations to find solutions, intuit where to compromise and where to hold
firm, and consistently deliver on required business results.
● You are results oriented and consistently set and achieve realistic business
goals and understand the importance of meeting quality standards and
● You are an analytical / critical thinker that transforms data into actionable
insights to inform strategic and tactical business decisions.
● You have strong judgment & decision making ability for analyzing problems
and developing effective, viable solutions that drive the effectiveness of the
team and the organization as a whole.
● You believe teamwork and collaboration are important to accomplish
common goals; valuing and celebrating the contributions of others.
● You are a team player who accepts responsibility for yourself and your
contribution as a team member. You commit to organizational success and
inspires others to commit to team and org goals
● You believe in young people and are curious about the needs and wants of
young people across the spectrum of identity and difference.
Select Perks & Benefits.
● 3 weeks vacation, paid winter holiday break (from Christmas to New Years),
and ½ Day Summer Fridays (Memorial Day to Labor Day!).
● Medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. You read that right!
● An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to
protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect
personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
● DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on
young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting
arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and
offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause
How and why we collect data from you.
● We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This
includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information
disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application
● Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at
● We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of
seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be
“recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
● DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
● Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely
deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
● JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS.
Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate
data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of