Data Insights Engineer
We're looking for a Data Insights Engineer to help us accomplish our mission of improving lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
Data Insights Engineering is a diverse and talented team with strong expertise in discovering and understanding customer needs, and rapidly prototyping and iterating on data products. We define data strategy, drive technical execution and initial rollout of the product and leverage data insights to improve operational efficiency. You will:
- Work closely with product and engineering to track and understand the usage of Flatiron platforms, define business metrics, and present recommendations to decision makers across the company.
- Build and maintain analytical pipelines using Python/SQL and surface critical oncology insights directly to our customers, including cancer clinics, academic institutions and life sciences companies
- Immerse yourself in business and technical context to help your team identify opportunities for unlocking new value from our unique datasets
- Conduct customer interviews to understand their needs and help drive our data products strategy in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Rapidly iterate on early stage products where a hybrid skill set of product intuition, customer empathy and data expertise is essential
- Develop models that translate structured and unstructured patient data into valuable clinical insights and help optimize Flatiron's processes and products
Who You Are
You are an entrepreneurial, customer-focused engineer or data scientist, experienced in driving new data capabilities. You’re are excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You are a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make a real impact on people’s lives.
- You have the technical skill to query databases, and have a strong intuition for how to model and clean data
- You are versatile and can easily pick up new programming languages
- You understand how to identify major pain points in a user’s workflow, build prototypes to address the challenges, gather feedback from the user, and rapidly iterate
- You have at least 3 years of industry experience in relevant roles such as data scientist, technical product manager, data engineer, or similar; and a track record of success driving forward large initiatives by generating buy-in, managing complexity and continuously delivering business impact
- You understand a broad spectrum of methods and disciplines in data science and analytics, and you are especially skilled in at least one of these fields: machine learning, data analytics, decision science, operations research, data modeling, or data engineering
- You have expertise in statistics/analytics or in applying product management frameworks to solve complex business problems
- You have collaborated with other technical team members in a production development environment using formal version control and one or more modern programming languages
- You care more about fixing our customers’ problems and advancing cancer treatment than you do about dealing with the coolest / newest data processing techniques
- You are effective at representing Flatiron and your team to our most important customers and stakeholders
- You are a clear and confident communicator who can break down complex data analyses to tell a compelling story
- You are value-oriented and practical in how you apply data to problems and understand what it takes to build sustainable products at scale
- You are passionate about our mission to improve cancer care through data and technology
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.