Data Science Team Lead - Transactions
About The Opportunity
Got a taste for something new?
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 80,000 restaurants and over 14 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Explore diverse data sets of large volumes to develop models which help drive complex, real time data driven products with real world impact
- Using sound scientific guiding principles in analysis, model training, testing and validation of the data models to create precise, high performing and reliable models to be used in product
- Using software principles to write functional, scalable, tested and clean deployable code, during the implementation stage of algorithms
- Oversee project work of direct reports. Help solve challenging problems with problem formulation, prioritization, exploration and implementation
- Collaborate and work closely with Engineering, Product and Design to create high quality reliable products
You Should Have
- Strong Machine Learning and Statistics track record and expertise on Regression Methods, Classification Methods, Clustering, Neural Networks, Unsupervised Learning Methods, Etc.
- Experience working on Anomaly Detection, User Rating Calculation,Time Series Forecasting, Etc.
- Experience building probabilistic models, simulations and other computational techniques to run statistical analyses for several mission-critical projects. Should also be able to package them into conceptual features available through our data intelligence services and internal code
- In depth understanding of Experiment design - You should have a deep understanding of experiment design: Control vs variations, factorial experiment design, multivariate experiments, simple random sampling v.s stratified, etc.
- Programming - Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Advanced Python and Spark Skills are essential to perform your daily tasks
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate
- SQL experience - Experience in transactional and data warehouse environments using MySQL, Hive, or other database systems. Must deeply understand joins, subqueries, window functions, etc.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it. You might even make our achievements board!
- 12+ years of experience using the above skills
- PhD or Masters in quantitative discipline
Got These? Even Better:
- Working knowledge of Scala or interest to pick up new programming languages
- Good understanding of data structures and computational complexity
- You know how to sell an idea to a large group of people. Internal PR is important
- Blog/portfolio/Github link
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here:DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected]and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.