Data Scientist, Applied Science at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better Opportunity:
As a rapidly growing company, we’re actively scaling our Data Team to ensure every area of our business has reliable data to fuel insights and innovation, which will be crucial to our business’ future success. We’re currently looking for a skilled and motivated Data Scientist to join our central Data Team and contribute to this mission alongside a collaborative team.
As a Data Scientist, you will be embedded within a Product team and partner closely with Product Managers, Data Analysts, Designers, and Software Engineers to deeply understand and improve upon the customer experience. You’ll do so by forming hypotheses, creating analysis, designing experiments, building predictive models, and surfacing recommendations to leaders across the organization. The objective is to provide data-backed insights and thought leadership to solidify us as a data-driven organization, and help us achieve our mission of democratizing the homeownership process.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work extremely closely with product team to understand and prioritize user behavior
- Translate problems into analytical questions and form hypotheses that can be answered with available data using statistical methods or identify additional data needed to fill in any gaps
- Design and run A/B experiments to understand causal impact and/or validate hypothesis
- Identify opportunities to build new data products and models to enable a more impactful customer experience
- Leverage python and SQL to garner insights in large sets of cross-functional data
- Build scalable machine learning models and productionalize them to serve predictions in customer facing web products.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in a quantitative field (Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, etc.)
- 4+ years experience with optimization, statistics, and machine learning models in one or more of the areas: multivariate regression analysis, survival analysis, customer segmentation, web products personalization.
- Experience with SQL and Python for analytics and data ETL
- Comfortable using frameworks and structured thinking to approach problems and define solutions in a creative way
- Excellent communication skills that enable you to share both technical and business concepts to audiences of all levels
- Preferred but not required
- Bonus: data pipeline tools (i.e Airflow or similar)
- Bonus: Experience data visualization tools (i.e. Looker, Tableau, or similar)
- Bonus: Experience working within the Mortgage, Real Estate, or Fintech space
This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.