Data Scientist, Finance at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Data is core to our growing business and has been ingrained in the company's DNA since its founding. The Data Science team is the engine that powers our data-driven culture. We extract meaning from RTR’s many, rich customer interactions and partner with decision makers across the company to turn insights into actions. Our team of well-rounded data scientists manages data models, defines and analyzes performance metrics, builds reporting, runs A/B experiments, and develops statistical models.
About the Job:
We are looking for a Data Scientist on our Consumer Analytics team to scale and up-level the company’s approach to business projections and financial modeling and analysis. In this role you will embed with partners in Finance to close data visibility gaps, add automation and reproducibility to routine analyses, and contribute novel, statistical approaches to key business and financial modeling exercises. You will tackle a broad range of topics, including growth, retention, inventory management, and operations.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as the Data Science ambassador to the Finance org, bringing programming and statistics horsepower to execute against financial objectives
- Provide financial performance data for executive, board, and external investor audiences
- Develop a self-service financial data suite to streamline the collection of inputs to financial models and generation of ad-hoc reports
- Validate and/or refine model assumptions with statistical analysis and experimentation
- Build forecasts to support long-range operating plans
- Identify opportunities to leverage data science to improve existing models and analyses
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, Economics, Technology, Business or related fields; advanced degrees and/or specializations a plus
- You have 3-5+ years experience in an analytics and/or data science role
- You have experience coding in statistical or scripting computer languages such as Python or R
- You have high proficiency using relational databases and writing queries in SQL
- You have familiarity with basic financial concepts (EBITDA, ROI, DCF, etc.)
- You have experience with consumer, subscription, and/or eCommerce data is highly preferred
- You have experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau or Looker
- You have a track record of building strong relationships with cross-functional partners
- You’re able to communicate effectively with a wide-range of audiences
- You’re able to quickly learn new tools and data analysis methods
- You have a passion for data and its fundamental ability to create value
- You’re extremely curious and excited to dive into complex problems
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.