Data Science at Policygenius...
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. We are advancing our tech capabilities and learning to leverage our hordes of data to develop innovative machine learning applications. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking data scientists like yourself.
Our data science team builds machine learning applications that are embedded into our consumer facing applications or power our processes to make us more efficient. We partner with Product, Design, Engineering, Marketing and numerous stakeholders across the company to develop deeper predictors of behavior and build solutions to optimize our internal and external experiences.
In this role, you will…
- Take complicated problems and translate them into data problems that can be solved using algorithms
- Mine and connect many large and disparate data sources using our databases and SQL and other unstructured data repositories
- Develop machine learning based applications using supervised and unsupervised models using R or Python that optimize and personalize customer experiences or reduce manual effort on our internal teams through automated decision making
- Utilize deep learning techniques to solve problems related to natural language processing, computer vision and prediction
- Partner with data engineering to take your model from science experiment to deployed infrastructure
- Develop experiments to understand model impact
- Develop and monitor model analytics and manage training and retraining pipelines
- Brainstorm future use cases and contribute to the learning culture of the data science team
- Partner with and mentor other data scientists
We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have 3-5+ years of experience as a data scientist or data analyst building and validating machine learning and forecasting models in R or Python
- You have experience or knowledge of supervised and unsupervised model techniques such as random forest, gradient boosting, support vector machines, naive bayes, k-means clustering, hierarchical clustering, HDSCAN, mixture models
- You have experience with deep learning, computer vision or NLP
- You have 1-5+ years of experience working in a consumer facing business
- You have experience working on product teams, but also collaborating with other data science team members
- You have a background in math, statistics, computer science or a scientific field
- You can communicate with a team and articulate ideas to both team members and non-technical stakeholders
- You have a drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques
- You have experience with relational cloud databases like Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, but also comfortable working with unstructured files and datasets
- Understanding of marketing and marketing algorithms (multi touch attribution, mixed media models, LTV modeling) a plus!
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship!!!
Technologies You Will Use
- Python or R for machine learning algorithms and analysis.
- Google Cloud Platform: Kubernetes, Cloud SQL, Cloud Functions, PubSub, BigQuery, DataStore, and more: we keep adopting new tools as we grow.
- Airflow for data pipelining.
- Tableau for data visualization and consumer facing dashboards.
- Many more to come!
Policygenius is America’s leading online insurance marketplace. Since 2014, our mission has been to help people get the financial protection they need (and feel good about it). We make it easy for our customers to understand their options, compare quotes, and buy insurance, all in one place. To date, we’ve helped more than 30 million people shop for all types of insurance and placed over $45 billion in coverage.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Despite rapid growth (we’ve doubled in size year over year!), we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we’re looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine’s “Best Workplaces” two years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!