Database Engineer - Vertica
We are looking to hire a Big Data Database Administrator who will work in collaboration with our engineering team to ensure aligned execution of database related activities. You enjoy investigating database problems, performance issues, and evaluating best practices to ensure optimal performance on the platform.
Recently named one of the top 10 most promising companies in America by Forbes Magazine and one of the "Best Places To Work" in the nation by Outdoor Magazine, The Trade Desk offers a culture of "relaxed intensity" – one that comes from working alongside one of the most talented teams in our industry, and leading in a race that is ours to lose.
KEY DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide day-to-day support and maintenance for Vertica databases for our platform. This includes, but is not limited to: administration, analysis, support, proactive monitoring, troubleshooting, recoverability, security, installation, and design
- Investigating potential problems and issues raised by users
- Monitoring database events and continuously optimizing system performance through troubleshooting and tuning
- Work with engineering team to automate reactive procedures and promote rapid response to database issues
- Maintaining database configurations in compliance with established best practices
- Designing and implementing systems, policies, and procedures for backup and disaster recovery
- Monitoring ongoing capacity and implement design and architecture changes as needed to improve global availability
- Installing upgrades and patches to existing database servers
- Designing and developing database code as needed
- Reviewing and establishing database migration patterns and weekly release scripts
- Participating in on-call rotations
- 5+ years of Database Administration experience supporting mission critical relational databases
- Considerable experience and knowledge of Vertica Analytic Database. Equivalent experience with other MPP SQL technologies like Greenplum, Teradata, Netezza, or even open source may be acceptable alternatives for the right candidate
- Proficiency with OLAP Database Environments
- Full systems lifecycle experience (from requirements to delivery) of database projects
- Experience designing, building, installing, configuring, supporting, and maintaining high-volume, large database systems
- Top-notch troubleshooting and analytical problem-solving skills
- Experience with database design and management aspects for various compliance programs, such as Sarbanes-Oxley or PCI, is a big plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to document complex technical problems
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as independently with limited supervision
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without a contract in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.