Director of Engineering, Data at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Team:
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
About the Job:
A proven leader who is passionate about data to help iterate on our data strategies, grow our capabilities, and expand our data platform team. The person in this role will be focused on extending/supporting our critical data products, including real time business metrics and analytics capabilities. The Director of Engineering, Data directs enterprise-wide data operations, data platforms, engineering and architecture management related activities. Thought leader and champion for our data-driven culture as well as manage and grow our data engineering team. Focus is on supporting and driving business initiatives.
What You'll Do:
- Mentor, grow, and empower your team by giving them the skills, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success, and enable them to become technical leaders.
- Manage data infrastructure, and strategic decisions, to grow and support the team as well as the organization as it relates to Data Platform.
- Develop, document, maintain and support nimble data solutions that are able to both provide ready access to existing data features and incorporate new features in a timely manner.
- Partner closely with other technology leaders to achieve best in class results and ensure management of SLAs
- Operate in time-sensitive environment with competing deadlines; appropriately prioritize the short and long term paths based on an Agile development process.
- Work with business partners to clarify requirements when necessary to create both high level and low level design docs.
- Represent and communicate team capabilities and engineering priorities across the organization.
- Contribute to the codebase, architect and design new systems, and participate in code review.
- BA/BS in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of progressive experience in Software Engineering and/or project management, with a track record of successful high quality deliveries
- 5+ years experience with Python and other high-level languages such as Java or C#. A predilection toward clean well-organized and documented code.
- Experience managing or leading small to medium sized engineering teams in a dynamic environment
- Passion for building world-class data platforms that support a global customer base
- Assertive, take-charge, proven manager, team player with a strong results orientation, positive “can do” attitude, and a sense of urgency to get things done
- Be capable of self-direction, within context
- Experience leading and managing technical teams in data and agile engineering best practices
- Proven execution skills and ability to successfully execute against strategy in cooperation with other functions
- Ability to apply both technical competence and interpersonal skills to achieve business outcomes
- Strong understanding of SQL, experience with key databases such as Snowflake/Redshift, MySQL, MongoDB, etc.
- Knowledge of streaming architectures ideally in Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, etc.
- Understanding of data modeling best practices - Star Schemas, Kimball, etc.
- Proven track record facilitating and realizing product goals through effective communication across an organization.
- Experience in continuous deployment and testing.
- Provide clear, consistent leadership, management and mentoring for direct reports and the broader technology organization
- Experience leading teams and building technology and products in a rapidly growing company and knowledge of how to navigate the growing pains of that rapid growth
- Experience implementing a self service reporting platform is major bonus points.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.