Director: Engineering at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
DigitalOcean is looking for a strategic Engineering Director for Engineering Services to lead Data Engineering, Observability and Release Engineering. In this capacity, you will work with multiple teams of passionate and talented engineers, architects, and analysts responsible for building, operating and maintaining the petabyte-scale platforms to support all of the analytics, business intelligence, data science, observability and reporting data needs across the company.What You'll Be Doing:
- Set the long term organizational and strategic direction
- Support, develop and mentor a high-performing team of software, systems and data engineers
- Mentor, coach and develop engineering managers
- Responsible for the high-availability, performance and operations of several business-critical systems and platforms
- Ensure projects are planned, estimated, scheduled and delivered on-time, in budget with high quality.
- Budgetary ownership for hardware and software
- Work closely with internal stakeholders and drive up internal customer satisfaction.
- Significant experience as a software engineer, architect or manager building high-scale software
- Ability to define and drive a technical vision within teams, across teams, and across pillars.
- Familiarity with Cloud-Native architectures and technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, Prometheus, Concourse or other CI/CD technology, Snowflake, HDFS
- Ability to lead large projects across multiple teams and pillars.
- High accountability and continuous improvement mindset
- Experience defining and delivering to key operational KPIs and metrics
- The ability to flex communication style to influence and present to many audiences (engineers, peers, directors, execs).
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!