Director, Insights & Strategy at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better.com is growing, and we’re looking for a Director, Insights & Strategy to join our Operations team. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s reshaping the homeownership industry, check us out.
This role offers the opportunity for end to end involvement in critical growth initiatives. This hire will identify, design and execute key strategies to improve the way we serve customers. With a focus on both existing products and future offerings, the impact of this position will be felt in the increased efficiency brought to current services, as well as our ability to scale seamlessly as the size and complexity of the business grows.Responsibilities will include:
- Lead large scale transformations to support the continuous improvement and effectiveness of our mortgage operations and sales team, which are the core of our loan production engine.
- Work collaboratively with key business functions such as marketing, product strategy, and talent acquisition to drive alignment on shared priorities (ex: customer conversion strategy, internal tools development, and headcount planning)
- Keep track of our external environment (e.g., market conditions, competitive pressures, regulatory landscape) and derive meaningful insights for business decisions
- Build out our “control panels”, a live view of all the critical levers of the business, to track our progress towards financial and operating goals.
- Provide synthesized trend reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly) for Executive leadership, and perform ad hoc analyses as needed.
The ideal candidate for this role works with a bias for action, and also brings a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness to their execution approach. In a fast paced environment like ours, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in an ambiguous setting will also be critical to this individual’s success. Most importantly, given the scope and impact of this position, this hire should approach every responsibility with a true sense of ownership.
- You have experience in management consulting at a premier firm, including at least 1 year as a Project Manager/Engagement Manager.
- You have worked in-house as an operations leadership in a high growth environment, and have a proven record of building from the ground up.
- You have robust skills in data analysis (SQL experience strongly preferred) and modeling, as well expert level slide writing and presentation skills.
- You are an excellent communicator, and can collaborate effectively with partners of varying seniority and wide ranging expertise.
- Python, R, or some other advanced analytics tool
The Insights & Strategy team plays a central role in the successful operation of Better.com’s loan production engine. With multiple work streams focused on the ongoing efforts of our sales and mortgage operations teams, this team takes a data-driven approach to identifying and acting on opportunities to drive the quality and output of our loan production. Whether an incremental tweak to an existing process or a newly developed procedure, this team takes on any chance to improve our ability to make homeownership accessible to all Americans.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.