Director of Research, FinTech
The director of research for fintech will be responsible for upholding and expanding the vision for the Intelligence Unit’s research geared to the financial services industry.
This person will take the lead in setting the research agenda of the team:
- What are the most important trends and technologies as gleaned from our data/analysis and how should they be covered?
- What can we do to better meet clients’ needs with our research?
- What are the appropriate research formats and methodologies?
- What will be the big ideas, the narratives, the insights being brought forth?
It is the job of the research director to be the ultimate steward of talent and the research quality on this team. Additionally:
- This person will be a key part of the leadership team on the Intelligence Unit. The Intelligence Unit’s goal is to provide clients with the industry’s smartest, most digestible, and most actionable insight into the technologies, business models, competitors, and market trends of tomorrow. The director of fintech research will collaborate closely with other research leaders in defining a larger vision and strategy to fulfill this mission.
- The director will have a keen understanding for how fintech is impacting the main areas of financial services, including banking and insurance and wealth management. But they should also feel a desire to challenge the conventional wisdom with fresh insights.
- This person will guide the work of the analysts on the team and ensure they align with the overall business goals of the company. They must have strong leadership skills and the ability to hire and inspire others to do their best work, while always meeting our high standards. They should have the determination to lead the team in an atmosphere that calls for aggressive experimentation and change.
- The research director for fintech will build relationships with other leaders and individual contributors in the company, including within business development, marketing, and customer success, and seek input from them in terms of how the research can best help fuel their respective efforts. The person joining in this role will be a creative partner to the department head, working closely on department-wide initiatives.
- Recruit, manage, and develop a team of hungry and smart analysts who have created industry-leading research on tech and innovation trends across financial services. This includes handling research calendar for the team and assignment queues across public, syndicated, and custom research deliverables.
- Oversee data-driven research and reports that combine our proprietary data with outside data sets to identify key trends
- Set a client-focused agenda: Help align the team’s work with the interests of our clients and prospects
- Help the team understand and develop forward-looking analyses and insights for top financial services areas including insurance, banking, payments, wealth management, and more
- Support PR requests with data and category knowledge
- You should be passionate and knowledgeable about technology and have some background in adjacent disciplines such as venture capital, corporate strategy, corporate finance, and M&A
- Research experience a requirement – can be within the fields of market research, equity research, journalism, or consulting in fintech or related area
- 12+ years experience overall, as well as significant experience leading a team
- Embody humility, drive, and a solutions-oriented attitude
- Comfortable with private and public markets including public company financial metrics/ratios
- Ability to synthesize data and develop meaningful conclusions and predictive insights
- Strong communication/presentation skills and leadership abilities
- Ability to multitask and handle the details while keeping an eye on the big picture
- Some startup experience ideal, thick skin and high tolerance for change required
- Strong MS Excel and Powerpoint skills
- BA/BS required; relevant graduate degrees a plus
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for. Perks and Benefits:
- Subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with up to 4% match
- $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Daily lunch stipend
Happy, Helpful, Humble, and Hungry: Check out more about our company culture here.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!