Engineering Manager, Data Science at Grubhub (Greater NYC Area, NY)
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
Grubhub is looking for a curious, business-minded, results-oriented Manager Data Scientist to join our Restaurant Data Science team. You will be managing a team of data scientists and focused on growing restaurant partners and helping them grow their business on Grubhub by developing models, algorithms, and experiments for restaurant performance and competitive intelligence. As a member of this highly collaborative team, you will partner closely with product managers, business stakeholders, and data engineers to solve diverse and complex problems.
A successful candidate is a motivated individual with a strong model, algorithm, software development, communication, and leadership skills. They should hold themselves and their team to a high standard for coding best practices and a passion for pushing their team to new heights by designing new tools and evangelizing durable and efficient solutions for deploying large scale machine learning models and algorithms. Ideally, the candidate would strive to remain abreast with related science technologies, show leadership in charting new avenues for automation through data science and the rare ability to appropriately balance short term gains with long term goals.
The Impact You Will Make
- Lead, inspire and grow a team of data scientists. Establish the culture of research and contributions to the larger data science community within and outside Grubhub.
- Drive and create frameworks for the team for solving business problems by research, prototyping, and building statistical or machine learning models.
- Collaborate with business, product managers, and other engineering peers to create roadmap, review architecture, and participate in cross-functional initiatives
- Establish KPIs for success with stakeholders and deliver tooling to monitor those KPIs.
- Help prioritize business initiatives and own the development and delivery of data science/machine learning solutions of their team
What You Bring to the Table
- Master's degree in a quantitative or technical field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 4 years of industry experience in data science or similar role and 2 years of team management experience
- Expert knowledge in Python scripting language and SQL
- 3 years of experience with scientific computing libraries such as numpy, pandas, and dask
- Demonstrable proficiency in basic statistics, linear algebra, and calculus as they relate to machine learning concepts.
- Experience with data modeling and managing data transformation jobs with high volume and timing requirements
- Experience with the entire pipeline of deploying machine-learning algorithms including their development, validation, implementation, and production launch.
- Strong ability to distill and communicate complex technical concepts and solutions at a level appropriate for the intended audience with varying levels of technical knowledge.
- Exposure to cloud computing (AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- Experience with Git or similar tool for version control
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous working environment
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Vaccination Requirement: Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated. Candidates must confirm vaccination status at time of hire, and must provide proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination within 2 weeks of starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]