Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs, bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs and some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are—bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. We will get started in new markets, each with their own operating structure and care teams, and continue to grow in the communities where we are working already. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To deliver a radically better experience of care to our members and advance equity in the communities we serve, we strive to make our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bridging together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and celebrated as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
Cityblock is looking for an experienced Data Infrastructure Manager with distributed data processing, data integration, and data warehousing experience to be a technical leader and manager for our Data Management & Governance team. The Data Management & Governance team’s mission is to create a robust, flexible, and modern data platform, so that our data partners and consumers can create accurate signals and insights to enable Cityblock to best serve our Members.
As a technical leader, you will work hand in hand with our Product Manager to reimagine our technical stack to best serve Cityblock Members. You will create the technical vision, strategy, and roadmap which inspires the team, builds confidence in our stakeholders, and aligns closely with DevOps principles to allow us to scale rapidly. As a partner to our Product Manager, you will help build and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders, so that the team can understand business priorities and expectations. You will help meet and manage those expectations by translating those needs and aspirations into manageable technical projects which ultimately delight our stakeholders, while creating opportunities for growth and knowledge sharing on the team.
As a manager, you will mentor, coach, and support your staff. You will ensure that they have the right information, skills, and opportunities to grow and be effective in their roles. You will instill a culture of team delivery over individual glory (or defeat) and encourage self-organization. You will support staff with their professional development goals. And you will ultimately hold yourself and others accountable for a healthy, psychologically safe place to work.
You will be most successful in this role if you are self-motivated and energized by the chance to create a data infrastructure which can meet rapidly changing needs and requirements. You value time spent implementing interesting technical challenges as a team and improving upon their management practices (about a 50/50 split). And you enjoy creating a place where staff feel included, cared for, and supported personally and professionally.
Your role is critical in helping us support patients in communities hardest hit by COVID-19 through helping our care teams of community health partners, medical staff and social workers to problem-solve for our patients using opinionated information and driving action at a panel-level.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
- You are an excellent communicator to a diverse set of audiences including stakeholders, product managers, peers, and direct reports.
- You have the experience and desire to mentor others to success.
- You are a self-motivated learner.
- You have extensive knowledge of data infrastructure to shape a technically appropriate, maintainable, and scalable enterprise grade data integration platform on the cloud.
- You are excited about improving the speed and efficiency of development and productization by ETL developers and data analysts by weaving together best-in-breed technologies.
- You have strong expertise in infrastructure scaling, data operations, system internals, security, network, and distributed data processing.
- You’re familiar with three or more of data warehousing, data integration, workflow orchestration, pub sub, SQL, and Python.
- You have experience with GCP and/or other cloud providers.
- You have experience with technical design and enjoy iterating on those ideas with the team.
- You have 5+ years of proven coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods in JVM-based languages, and a framework like Spark.
- You have 2+ years experience leading technical vision and strategy for data engineering.
- You have 2+ years of management experience.
How We Define Success:
- Collaborate with the DMG Product Manager to create and own a strong technical vision, strategy, and roadmap for impactful health data warehousing and resulting data products.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with your collaborators, including fellow Engineering teams, the Product team, Data Analytics, Data Science, and Actuary.
- Create an engaging work environment for the Data Management and Governance Engineering team by focusing on the most impactful work, creating growth opportunities, modeling transparency, and high-quality communication.
- Use team collaboration tools to effectively identify, track, and communicate priorities both for day-to-day and long-term planning.
- Rapidly deliver value to delight our stakeholders, care teams, and ultimately our members.
- Triage issues effectively and use that information to help guide the work of the team to make our data products more reliable and maintainable.
- Define, maintain, and promote standards for the team’s infrastructure, code, and development processes.
- Support staff through regular check-ins, professional development planning, and learning opportunities to ensure that they are successful.
- Write clean, well-tested, code that will stand the test of time.
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience with ELT and modeling of health data a plus
- Experience with the cloud native data technologies
- Previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.