At Peloton, we treat Data as Product - a valuable asset and a critical piece of our decision making process. The mission of the Data Infrastructure team under the Data Platform department is to provide and maintain a centralized set of core data infrastructure, tools and standards that empowers and enables decentralized teams to accelerate their ability to safely use data to generate actionable insights and product features. Our core guiding principles are 1) enable data as a product 2) ensure data reliability and 3) optimize for data productivity.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to guide the evolution of our data infrastructure as we scale our business. Reporting to the VP of Platform & Data, you will be the first engineer on the newly formed Data Infrastructure team under the Data Platform department that will help shape the roadmap and build out of the core data infrastructure that will serve as the foundation of all data at Peloton. You will provide technical expertise and leadership around core data systems and tools that serve as the building blocks of our shared data infrastructure. This is a hands-on role in addition to providing technical leadership and architectural guidance. As a part of the Data Infrastructure team, you will be working across a wide range of problems in the data ingestion, data compute, data transport, orchestration and interoperability areas. Some of the few challenges you will work on in your first year are: How do we build a common multi-region event bus that powers the event-driven architecture at Peloton? How do we build a golden pipeline and framework for teams to ingest and expose their data to other teams? How do we build a multi-tenant batteries-included orchestration tool that can be used by teams? What are the compute frameworks we should standardize on for batch and streaming processing? How do we build DSL driven compute frameworks for data engineering teams to adopt across the company?You Will
- Be the voice of the data infrastructure team, adopt and evangelize data mesh principles and event-driven architecture across decentralized product teams and promote the principle of data as a product.
- Be a key technical leader and data expert across the organization, driving multiple Working Groups/ Special Interest Groups to influence key decisions on data architecture and implementation of scalable data infrastructure and tools.
- Take responsibility for the planning, execution and release of data initiatives that span multiple business units and departments, defining architectural vision and provide leadership for teams
- Focus on improving developer productivity, usability, reliability and adoption of core data infrastructure and tools through fast prototyping and feedback, ensuring that the right tool is being built for domain teams.
- Review designs, tech decisions and code, to ensure they are high quality, efficient, data-driven and documented.
- Be the custodian of Peloton’s core values promoting collaboration and a bias for action.
- Strong background in distributed systems, event-driven architecture, microservices , data reliability and quality.
- Has prior experience or has active interest in adopting data mesh architecture
- You have experience in a cloud environment like AWS and familiarity with tools like Kubernetes, Kafka, Airflow, Glue, Athena and Data Lake Formation.
- Demonstrated experience building and scalding out big data infrastructure preferably at hyper growth companies.
- Well-versed with Python or Scala and experience working on large distributed systems and frameworks like Spark/ Flink.
- You are an excellent communicator and storyteller, communicating concepts and ideas in different formats, depending on context. You can receive feedback while being assertive when needed. You know how to influence decision-making at all levels of the company, working across organizational boundaries using a variety of communication styles and formats.
- You are pragmatic without compromising on software quality and standards.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.