Rate Table Analyst at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest-growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
We’re searching for an Analyst to join our Acquisitions team, focused specifically on one of our key acquisition channels: rate tables. We have strong capital markets and tech advantages, and are working on evolving our digital product and customer experiences. To drive our goals of capturing massive market share, our acquisition team is responsible for negotiating and managing our media spend with hawkish attention to performance. We call this role a trader because media dollars and time spent negotiating are your investments, your bids are the rates we offer, and our loan revenues are your returns.
You are obsessive about performance, evaluating performance using data, and passionate about getting things done in concert with other groups, including data, creative, finance, and strategy. You view demand aggregators such as price comparison websites (“rate tables”) as investment opportunities to be valued, leveraged and used to form an optimal portfolio of customer acquisition. You get that Better.com is the best solution for the end customer and you will fight with every tool you have to win for us and them.
Together, we can shape the future of homeownership in America. It will be a fierce battle, but it will be rewarding.
Responsibilities will include:
- Analyze performance data at the loan- and scenario- level to identify optimizations
- Execute trades through pricing engines
- Suggest or make real-time adjustments to bids and loan pricing to optimize volume and ROI
- Monitor lead quality and conversion to funded units - build out and maintain internal performance dashboards
- Help in testing and evaluating the integrity of competitive environments on rate tables
- Field requests from internal and external stakeholders
- Partner with Better product, engineering, and data science teams to scope out and implement near and long-term opportunities for further automation
You want to win. You are someone who loves finding opportunities that others miss. You can separate the signal from the noise, and approach things with a fresh perspective and an open mind. You won't stop until you find a Better way.
- 1+ years in trading or finance roles that required constant evaluation of new opportunities, with a desire to apply your skills to a new marketplace
- Strong analytical foundation - SQL or coding skills (Python a plus) working with large databases that allow you to get your hands dirty drive trades and PnL
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment where business needs change and constantly bringing ideas to the table
- Strong intellectual curiosity
- Detail oriented
- Team player
- Good written and verbal communication skills
Bonus points for:
- Experience in mortgages or leads-buying
- Experience in fintech or other (regulated) environments
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.