Senior Data Analyst
Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than five years since our launch, Newsela is already in 90% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers, and engaged readers are better learners.
As Newsela’s usage in classrooms all over the world has grown, so has our focus on using data-driven analysis and results across every area of our business; in turn, this will make us more efficient and effective in helping students learn to read. We’re looking to drive unprecedented gains in student literacy and looking for an analyst to help get us there.
- Assist the Community Team (Customer Success Team) with building predictive models to help increase engagement and usage across our customer base
- Create dashboards and deliver insights
- Lead advanced analysis designed to increase operational efficiencies
- Support the senior members of the Data Team in their effort to provide expert analysis to the company
- Design and analyze a variety of A/B tests
- Write SQL queries to extract data, clean and analyze data in Python or R, and prepare presentation
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field, including but not limited to mathematics, engineering, computer science, or economics.
- 2+ years in a highly analytical role, including but not limited to business analyst, data analyst, or data scientist working for a company that develops software.
- 1+ years of professional experience using SQL.
- 1+ years of professional experience using a scripting language, including but not limited to Python or R.
- Demonstrated experience retrieving data, cleaning and preparing data for analysis, performing data analysis, and presenting and defending analysis.
- Demonstrated experience visualizing analysis (plus for working with high-dimensional data).
- Demonstrated experience explaining technical material to non-technical audiences.
- Master’s degree in a quantitative field
- Strong statistical and mathematical background
- Experience with any business intelligence tool (e.g. Looker, Chartio, Tableau, etc.)
- Presenting or visualizing insights involving high dimensional data
- Background in Economics
- Extremely detailed oriented.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.