Software Engineer, Data Discovery
Over half a billion videos are watched across millions of websites on a JW Player video player every day. The Data Team at JW Player is responsible for processing the associated 3+ TB stream of data every day, extracting signals and building valuable products for media publishers and viewers.
JW Player’s Data Discovery team is looking for a Software Engineer to design, build, and maintain our next-generation search and recommendations engagement products. Powered by an AWS stack with both realtime and batch data processing, our services operate on a massive scale and have a large impact on our business.
In this role you will:
- Maintain and develop a high-volume delivery API for playlists and recommendations.
- Build data-oriented products to provide our publishers with thoughtful analytics to better understand their audience and useful levers to increase viewer engagement.
- Collaborate with our Data Science team by productionizing machine learning models to extract video metadata, such as best thumbnails for videos.
- Use streaming technology for data enrichment, model training and database synchronization.
- Improve the Discovery team’s infrastructure and tooling around deployments, testing, monitoring and container orchestration.
- 3+ years relevant experience writing production code in Java or Python.
- Experience working with distributed system technologies that address Big Data.
- Knowledge of some of the following and a willingness to learn the others: Elasticsearch, Kafka, Postgres/MySQL.
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment of microservices. We use technology like Buildkite, Kubernetes, and Docker to build and deploy our services.
- Excited about scale. When you build a data pipeline, you are confident it will work just as well in a dev environment as it will in a production environment with 1000x the amount of data.
- Experience working in a Cloud environment, ideally AWS. You will work closely with the DevOps team to define infrastructure and tooling to support the data engineering efforts. True collaboration comes from mutual understanding and an open sharing of ideas.
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience.
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.