We are looking for a seasoned data science leader to head-up one of several research product initiatives to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Flatiron’s research team is building out the products, software, and algorithms that allow our Scientific customers to advance the state of cancer research by making use of real-world data.
Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What you will do
In this role, you will empower end users of Flatiron’s data by leading a team focused on enabling our Life Science customers to advance the state of cancer research using real-world data. As a Staff Data Science Manager, you will work with cross-functional leads to design solutions in a highly ambiguous, impactful, and interesting problem space with a high degree of autonomy. You will synthesize internal and external user feedback to help guide the team’s product roadmap, lead the technical development effort for data products, analytic tools, and algorithms, and help lead the team to success.
Across our research organization, we have openings on several product initiatives:
Machine Learning: Our machine learning teams expand the scope of what we can achieve with our unique data. We build ML-enabled capabilities, platforms, and products that directly impact Flatiron’s mission of learning from every cancer patient.
Structured Data Platforms: The structured data team provides the unique opportunity to work cross-functionally across the entire journey of structured data at Flatiron, from entry into the EHR at the point of care, through data transformation and harmonization, down to its applications at our life sciences partners, in order to understand and improve the quality of our structured data and maximize its impact in our real world data sets.
These areas are some of the most high-priority projects for our research business, and you will have a lot of opportunities to interact with senior stakeholders across the company. In addition, you'll also:
- Manage a team of 2-4 awesome data scientists
- Collaborate closely with product managers and the software engineers on the team
- Be accountable for the analytical rigor of the tools/solutions that we come up with
- Be responsible for taking nascent product ideas and maturing them into production algorithms and products
Who you are
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field. You have a minimum of 6 years of working experience in an analytical and technical capacity.
- You have led big cross-functional initiatives and are excellent at influencing decision-making without authority.
- You have 1-3+ years of people management experience.
- You have extensive experience in evaluating technologies, interviewing customers/end users, and pitching big ideas to both internal and external stakeholders.
- You are comfortable working in production engineering systems.
- Experience in healthcare
- Experience in machine learning
- Experience in open-source software
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.